Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

WHY IS LATIN A DEAD LANGUAGE??

vinbu

vinbu

Philippines

HOLA!! AMIGOS!!

I just want to know your opinion regarding the Latin..

why is it called the DEAD LANGUAGE??

do you have any idea???????

SealedMoney mouthCoolLaughing

07:24 AM Jun 14 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Muzaffer69M_Ist

Turkey

LATİN NOT DED PEOPL STİLL TALK LATİN EVEN İ ALSO TALK LATİN COGİTO ERGO SUM

02:30 PM Jun 14 2008 |

latin-lover

Italy

You're wrong VINBU, Latin is alive.

It lives in many European and South America linguages

03:03 PM Jun 14 2008 |

Green Alice

Russian Federation

Mazzafer, tell the truth! You are just quoting Dekart!

Vinbu, Latin is called dead language figuratively. Probably because Roman empire collapsed (which combined many nations speaking their own languages), and the language came out of use (or developed into different languages). Nowadays you won't find a country where Latin is spoken. But Romans left us huge legacy in law, philosophy, medicine, etc… so these branches of science still operate with Latin definitions. In that perspective Latin is alive. I'm sure we all use Latin words nowadays. Telescope, for example.

09:48 PM Jun 14 2008 |

pop272001

pop272001

Indonesia

Dead language?maybe it just b’coz not as active as english! Not all people speak with its language! But i think latin language will still alive, since all science always refer to that language for original name! Such as Biology, and also LAW, usually lawyer use Latin verse for anything. And i like this one: “si vis pecum para bellum” =if u wanna be peace, please ready to fight/war!

10:00 PM Jun 14 2008 |

Pavlionka

Pavlionka

Belarus

I don't think that there actually are any people speaking Latin nowadays.
(Who can say "Good morning" in Latin???)
Lawyers and doctors don't count! As they don't use it as a language - 
just terms or maybe quotations 
There was even a joke, about a girl who had studied Latin at the university
and than she saw an add of some language center where they needed a Latin teacher.
So she came there and asked whether she could apply for this job.
And woman at the reception said: "Duh! We need only NATIVE SPEAKERS!!"

07:21 AM Jun 15 2008 |

fanni szabo

Hungary

Yes Latin is a dead language. I learned it for 4 years but I don't know why is it so.

There are some people here saying it isn't a dead language, but I thing it is, bacause nobody can talk about everyday life in latin. First, because it's grammar is very difficoult, and even if you learn it quite well, you won't find such words, like 'having a chat on msn', listening to the radio', 'watching a football match on tv', calling your friend on his mobile', 'reading your emails', 'doing the washing up', doing the shopping', etc., etc….

05:46 AM Jun 16 2008 |

abdou 123

abdou 123

Algeria

no guys latin is dead language that is bevause no one in the street speak with it it is only in schools

a language which is not spoken atb all not in the street or any place else it is a dead out language there is a big diffrent between a dead language and a dead out language and latin is a dead language

08:10 AM Jun 21 2008 |