Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Jokes

andilee

andilee

United Kingdom

In English, as in many languages, jokes rely on the fact that often words can be used ambiguously, or, they simply describe a funny situation. Although very often analysing a joke tends to diminish it's humour, it's a good way to understand some complex parts of language. So, in this thread, write down a joke that relies on some misuse of a word in English, and explain why it's funny.

One of the simplest jokes, that always makes me laugh is

Question: "What's brown and sticky?"
Answer: "A stick"

This joke relies on the fact that you can make soemthing a comparative term by adding 'y' to the end of it (as with many rules, this isn't a strict one, so be careful, in some cases, you need to use '-ish' particularly if the word ends with a 'y' for instance baby – babyish rather than babyy), but also that there is a double meaning to the word 'sticky' here, which in English normally means something has a sticky consistency – i.e. things will stick to it – like glue is sticky. But, it can also mean 'stick – like' i.e. like the branch of a tree.

It's a silly joke, but I like it.  Your turn!

05:36 PM Jan 11 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Margaret

Margaret

United Arab Emirates

I think your thread is one of the interesting threads in here.

Because jokes ( for the learner of the second language ) sometimes hard to be understood. To be more clear about what I mean,

the English words have many meaning ( of course according to the word itself ) . For example, sometimes we use the same word but in different sentences here the word will be turned in new meaning.

As a result the learner will be fuzzy about the meaning of the word in this situation. 

Anyway, here is a joke…A man walks into a dentist's surgery and says, "Excuse me, can you help me. I think I'm a moth." "You don't need a dentist. You need a psychiatrist." "Yes, I know." "So, why did you come in here?" "The light was on…"  

HAHAHA I think you will surly know why this joke is funny even if I didn’t say why…. Lol

06:20 PM Jan 11 2009 |

my_high_IQ

my_high_IQ

Azerbaijan

What about this one:

If you step onto a plane and recognize a friend of yours named Jack don't yell out Hi Jack!

10:11 PM Jan 11 2009 |

in_trouble

Turkey

Nice…

Another one..

A six-year-old boy walked up to his father one day and announced, 'Daddy, I'd like to get married.' His father replied hesitantly, 'Sure, son, do you have anyone special in mind?' 'Yes,' answered the boy. 'I want to marry Grandma.' 'Now, wait a minute,' said his father. 'You don't think I'd let you get married with my mother, do you?' 'Why not?' the boy asked. 'You married mine.'

09:33 AM Jan 12 2009 |

andilee

andilee

United Kingdom

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.

05:18 PM Jan 12 2009 |

Margaret

Margaret

United Arab Emirates

If you step onto a plane and recognize a friend of yours named Jack don't yell out Hi Jack!

HAHAHAHA I can't imagine how the reaction will be if someone said that !

08:12 PM Jan 12 2009 |

my_high_IQ

my_high_IQ

Azerbaijan

So, in this thread, write down a joke that relies on some misuse of a word in English, and explain why it's funny.

These are your words. so,where is the explanation? Smile

as i know,dislexia is a reading disability,  and bra is an underwear.   which of these words are misused?

08:22 PM Jan 12 2009 |

andilee

andilee

United Kingdom

Exactly as Nu Pogodi says – there are a load of very popular jokes that start with 'x walks into a bar' , and dyslexia is a spelling/reading disorder. Like 'dyslexics thing that Dog created the world', dyslexic man walks into a bra, is a funny image, but works because it's a misspelling of bar.

Some of my favourite jokes are 'walks into a bar' jokes

Andi

10:56 AM Jan 15 2009 |

Dissipator

Dissipator

Ukraine

Andi,

great idea! it's my turn…

Why don't prostitutes vote?- cause they don't care who gets in Wink

02:52 PM Jan 15 2009 |

Dissipator

Dissipator

Ukraine

Try this smutty one…

A blond girl got a job in a unisex hair salon, On her first day she was washing clients hair before their hair was cut. She was washing a man's hair when she found that he had severe dandruff. She went over to the boss and said " He's got dandruff, what should I do?" The boss said " Give him head and shoulders". Tracy thinks for a miniute and says " I know how to give him head, how do i give him shoulders?" Embarassed

03:03 PM Jan 15 2009 |

Ivan13

China

I don't get it

03:25 AM Jan 16 2009 |