Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Im learning english,help me!

gostossa

Russian Federation

Im learning English… and more i`ve  learnt, more questions i have. I m gonna write here my questions and if somebody would answer then  i`ll be happy.

Ok i`ll start with 

1. Where can i use TO BE BETTER OFF? For example i heared it in a song, the line was MINUS YOUIM BETTER OFF. Does it mean something like im gonna feel better if you`d go? its gonna bу better for me?

2. From time to time i hear that english speakers say for example YOU`RE ALL THAT I GOT. So im confused with this grammar form. This phrase i suppouse means that NOW EVERYTHING THAT I HAVE IS YOU. So it talks about PRESENT so correct phrase suppoused to be YOU`RE ALL THAT I`VE GOT. But nobody say that I`VE GOT. Is it some kind of making it easier? Just dropping this `VE?

3. HOW DO WE DO THIS? Means how are we gonna do this. Or a song line HOW DO I SAY GOOD BYE TO ALL WE HAD. Means how im gonna do this or how can i do this. Somebody explain me this grammatically. Why we use PRESENT SIMPLE here? Is it this scheduled event`s thing? (the rule that we use present simple when we re talking about feauture scheduled events)?

4.NO GOOD. I know its the same as not good but when exactly can i use this NO GOOD. Can i use it everywhere when i want to say that something isn`t good or there are some cases where i cant use it? 

5. AIN`T. Same question where exactly do you use this? Example… I ain`t got no money..in this case i could just say I HAVE NO MONEY. Why ain`t got no money? To emphasize that i have no money AT ALL???Another example I AINT GONNA DO THIS in this case i could say IM NOT GONNA DO THIS. So in this 2 examples meaning of AIN`T  is different.

6. WAY BACK WHEN. Example :

I remember way back way back when, i said i didnt wanna see your face again (DUFFY STEPPING STONE)

I wouldnt make no changes now and way back when (MUTYA BUENA REAL GIRL)

What is this form for?

7. TO MAKE SOMETHING AT ONCE does it mean RIGHT AWAY?

8. TO HAVE SOMEONE SOMETHING (EXAMPLE : You had me going. or I`ll have you known) Where can i use this form?

9. BEFORE LONG (examplet: Interrnet  gives us so much information that children dont have to to school before long) Is it the same as ANYMORE?

10. SCUM. What does this word mean as a rude word?

11. I was told about the difference between words to kill, to murder and to assimilate (in my language we have only one word for all this cases) So is there any difference between cases of using words to fire, to dismiss and to sack? (the translation says that they mean the same and they are all actually translated as one word in russian)

12.TIMING person. What does it mean if somebody says that you are a timing person?

13.TO GET DOWN. Really frequently used phrase in american songs. The girl is gonna get down… What does it mean. To party heavily, to dance wildly?

14. Is there any difference between gaze and stare? In translation they are the same but in using they are different. 

01:04 PM Jan 26 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Kyle A

Kyle A

United States

1. Where can i use TO BE BETTER OFF? For example i heard it in a song, the line was MINUS YOUIM BETTER OFF. Does it mean something like im gonna feel better if you`d go? its gonna bу better for me?

"I am better off without you in my life."  That is what it means. I suppose, "I am better off," is an incomplete sentence, but this is what they mean.

Most people use, "I'm better off,"  when talking about something that happened and and they think that they are better off after the event, even if it hurt the person; like a broken heart.

Is this helping?

07:34 AM Jan 27 2009 |

Kyle A

Kyle A

United States

2. From time to time i hear that English speakers say for example YOU`RE ALL THAT I GOT. So im confused with this grammar form. This phrase i suppose means that NOW EVERYTHING THAT I HAVE IS YOU. So it talks about PRESENT so correct phrase supposed to be YOU`RE ALL THAT I`VE GOT. But nobody say that I`VE GOT. Is it some kind of making it easier? Just dropping this `VE?

It is slang. It is improper to say, "You are all I got." However, it is generally excepted. You shouldn't say this in a formal context, although you would not be saying it if it was.

07:41 AM Jan 27 2009 |

Kyle A

Kyle A

United States

3. HOW DO WE DO THIS? Means how are we gonna do this. Or a song line HOW DO I SAY GOOD BYE TO ALL WE HAD. Means how im gonna do this or how can i do this. Somebody explain me this grammatically. Why we use PRESENT SIMPLE here? Is it this scheduled event`s thing? (the rule that we use present simple when we re talking about feauture scheduled events)?

I am not sure what you are talking about since I am a native speaker…

07:44 AM Jan 27 2009 |

Kyle A

Kyle A

United States

4.NO GOOD. I know its the same as not good but when exactly can i use this NO GOOD. Can i use it everywhere when i want to say that something isn`t good or there are some cases where i cant use it?

"No good" is an adjective. There are possibly some cases you can't use it. None come  to my mind though…

07:47 AM Jan 27 2009 |

Kyle A

Kyle A

United States

5. AIN`T. Same question where exactly do you use this? Example… I ain`t got no money..in this case i could just say I HAVE NO MONEY. Why ain`t got no money? To emphasize that i have no money AT ALL???Another example I AINT GONNA DO THIS in this case i could say IM NOT GONNA DO THIS. So in this 2 examples meaning of AIN`T  is different.

You have a very good question. Technically, "ain't" isn't a word. "I ain't got no money," is a double negative and technically means that the person has  money. However, it is quite clear that the person means to say that they do not have any money. Any logic just fails here… This is why double negatives are bad.

Your second example uses the nonexistent word, "ain't," correctly.

07:55 AM Jan 27 2009 |

Kyle A

Kyle A

United States

6. WAY BACK WHEN. Example :

I remember way back way back when, i said i didnt wanna see your face again (DUFFY STEPPING STONE)

I wouldnt make no changes now and way back when (MUTYA BUENA REAL GIRL)

What is this form for?

In the past, remembering. I am not quite sure what you ment by "form" i guess… There is always many way to say something though.

07:57 AM Jan 27 2009 |

Kyle A

Kyle A

United States

7. TO MAKE SOMETHING AT ONCE does it mean RIGHT AWAY?

Yes.

07:59 AM Jan 27 2009 |

Kyle A

Kyle A

United States

8. TO HAVE SOMEONE SOMETHING (EXAMPLE : You had me going. or I`ll have you known) Where can i use this form?

For example, I will have you know you can use, "I'll have you know," while you explain something, thusly. ^^

You could use, "you had me going," when someone plays a friendly trick on you or something to that effect.

You should probably just practice a bunch and see what works.

I hope this is helping…

08:04 AM Jan 27 2009 |

Kyle A

Kyle A

United States

9. BEFORE LONG (example: Internet  gives us so much information that children wont have to go to school before long) Is it the same as ANYMORE?

"Anymore" is present tense. "Before long" is in the near future.

08:09 AM Jan 27 2009 |

Kyle A

Kyle A

United States

10. SCUM. What does this word mean as a rude word?

As a rude word it means worthless or evil person. The actual definition is some kind of matter that accumulates in a pool of water. Algae is a good example.

08:18 AM Jan 27 2009 |