Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

What was the last book you have read?

Novita

Novita

Germany

What was the last book you have read? What is the book's topic? Can you recommend it?

01:29 PM Mar 12 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Novita

Novita

Germany

The last book I've read is "Meet is my vegetable" by Heinz Strunk in German language. It's a tragicomic story about a musician who always wanted to become a famous music producer. But he just became a big looser and has to work as a music teacher in a music school and he has to play dance music in a small dance band on village fairs. This book is hilarious and I can really recommend it.

The last books I've read in English were "The Buru Quartet" by the Indonesian author Pramoedya Ananta Toer. He was imprisoned first by the Dutch from 1947 to 1949 for his role in the Indonesian revolution, then by the Indonesian government as a political prisoner. Many of his works have been written while in prison, including the Buru Quartet which was conceived in stories the author told to other prisoners during his confinement on Buru Island from 1969 to 1979. "The Buru Quartet" contains for books titled "This Earth of Mankind", "Child of All Nations", "Footsteps", and "House of Glass".

The protagonist is Minke, a young Javanese student of great intelligence, sensivity, and ambition. Living equally among the colonists and colonized of late nineteenth-century java, he battles against the confines of colonial stricures. The son of a noble Janavese, he moves easily among the Dutch and their ideas and language but is prevented from enjoying their rights. He also falls deperately in love with the beautiful Indo-European Annelies, and it is through her and her extraordinary family that Minke finds the strength to embrace his world – the world of Indonesia – and all its beauty and possibility, brutality and anger.  

I was so moved and impressed by Minke's story that I read all four books immediatly in succession. The author is a real luminary in telling about Indonesia's diverse culture and society, political struggle and humanity so that I am very, very sad that he never got the Nobel Prize for Literature he was discussed as nominate for because he died in April 2006.    

03:54 PM Mar 26 2009 |

amany7

amany7

Saudi Arabia

use your memory

by:

Tony Buzan ..

12:33 PM Mar 27 2009 |

BarboraCZ

BarboraCZ

Czech Republic

The Killer by Emile Zola … interesting book …

08:08 PM Jun 26 2009 |

Narina

Narina

Slovakia

I have to study some books about medicine because of school but in free time I prefer something like Dan Brown´s books or Agatha Christie. And of course about horses – my favourite.

08:09 PM Jun 26 2009 |

dreamerhh

Oman

(body language your success mantra) written by dr.shalini verma

09:18 PM Jun 26 2009 |

oztrk_89

Turkey

loving each other by Leo F. Buscaglia..about relationships..

10:14 PM Jun 26 2009 |

Novita

Novita

Germany

Sophie's World

Sophie's World (Sofies verden in the original Norwegian) is a novel by Jostein Gaarder, published in 1991. It was originally written in Norwegian, but has since been translated into English (1995) and many other languages.

Mostly consisting of dialogues between Sophie Amundsen and a mysterious man named Alberto Knox, interwoven with an increasingly bizarre and mysterious plot, Sophie's World acts as both a novel and a basic guide to philosophy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie%27s_World

01:09 PM Jun 27 2009 |

SAMIR HAJJAR

Syrian Arab Republic

war and peace

05:16 PM Jun 27 2009 |

SAMIR HAJJAR

Syrian Arab Republic

war and peace

05:16 PM Jun 27 2009 |

Zambuka

Zambuka