Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

lets improve our vocabulary.

neil

neil

India

guys just write three words and thier meaning. 

the words should not be very common…........

so lets start and have fun 

imminent …..likely to happen very soon 

eminent …....a famous ,respected and important

cuddle…..........to put your arms around someone and hold them in a loving way.

they were sitting in the garden kissing and cuddling 

05:25 AM Apr 05 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Jinn_daniels

India

Animalcule-molicular animals
Dodgie-suspicious
Rendezvous-meetng ppl(french wrd used in english)

07:36 PM Apr 05 2009 |

neil

neil

India

1 condemn….to criticize someone or something strongly

the film was condemned for its sexism. 

2….catastrophe…a sudden event that cause very great trouble or destruction 

07:36 AM Apr 06 2009 |

srshg

Saudi Arabia

I was wondering what I say 
but unfortunately 
i cant 

sorry

03:30 PM Apr 06 2009 |

janetlalbag

United States

Le'me share too…. 

paradox- false statement

Raunchu- vulgar

opted- prefer

here are few tips that I'v found at http://www.increasevocabulary.net/ to improve vocabulary 

Vocabulary Strategies:1. Open your mind like a child and you will learn words faster.

Children can learn new words almost 200 times faster than grownups because of their open minds and inquisitive natures. In Section One, we will discuss the techniques that children employ that allow them to increase their vocabulary much faster than adults.

2. Playing vocabulary games is a fun way to increase your vocabulary.

Any word game you choose is bound to increase your vocabulary. There are ways to maximize the learning that you get from playing games, and we will teach you these inSection Two .

3. While reading, list the unfamiliar words you see.

Most readers do not completely understand what they're reading because they are inclined to disregard unfamiliar words as they read. While reading, make sure you have a notepad nearby so you can jot down any new word that you see. More details on reading and listing are discussed in Section Three.

4. Attach a mental image to the words.

Your brain will remember a word better if there is a mental image associated with it. You can try creating your own mental pictures to correspond to new words that you are trying to learn. In Section Four, you will learn to create your own imagery for new words.

5. Find a way to make new words relevant to you.

Studies have shown that the more relevant a word is, the easier it is to learn it. If you can attach some kind of relevance to every new word you encounter, you will tremendously increase your vocabulary, and at a very fast rate. We will show you examples of adding relevance in Section Five.

6. Elaborate on the meaning of a word.

Elaboration is a simple yet effective tool if you want to increase your vocabulary. The more you expand on a word, the more you can remember what it means. In Section Six of our course, we will be teaching you the different forms of elaboration.

7. Say words repeatedly.

Word repetition is also an easy but effective method to increase your vocabulary. There are many ways of doing this, and we will show you the different methods you can use in Section Seven.

02:51 PM Apr 10 2009 |