Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

what does this mean ?

seaocean

seaocean

Taiwan

Hey, there ~

This is Gary from Taiwan. How are you guys doing?
I’ve got a question here.
What does “I have a lot at stake” mean ? My friend told me it means “I have a lot riding on this”. But I still don’t quite understand what they both exactly mean ?

By the way, I like this website so much . Thank you guys for putting so much effort for us, non-native speakers. I love you guys ~

Have a nice day

12:05 AM May 15 2002 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

luym

Brazil

Hi Gary,

“at stake” is similar to “at risk”. I think the sentence “I have a lot at stake” means that the person has a lot of things that might be lost or damaged.

Ex.#1: “Have you seen the car crash in front of the building? According to the bystanders, the driver was taken to the hospital and his life may be at stake”.

Ex.#2: He says he has to kill his wife’s lover because his honor is at stake.

I don’t know if this is the explanation you wanted, but does this make sense?

Lu.

03:14 PM May 15 2002 |

guzel389

Turkey

hi my name is duygu  lm turk  l like to you   see you

07:04 AM Apr 14 2007 |

evenstar

evenstar

Philippines

could mean that there may be unexpected consequences

09:17 AM Apr 14 2007 |

coconut546

coconut546

China

at stake(in danger;at risk)You can use  this expression  for one thing at risk,for example,if you are accused of lying ,you want to be vindicated because your reputation is at stake.If  a husband cheats on his wife,he is putting his marriage at stake

04:24 AM Apr 15 2007 |

king2009

king2009

Kuwait

hi ….luym & coconnut546 are right .ifound the same explanation …so you can say ''i have alot in danger(at risk)''[[.you have alot you may lose them]]

have a nice day

12:01 PM Sep 15 2007 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

'at stake' probably comes from either poker or even gold mining, back in the old days. All it means is that the person has a lot riding on something. If my job it 'at stake', it means that if I do something wrong, I would or could lose my job. If someone's life is at stake, such as in a murder trial. it means that person would lose their life if they lose the case. 

It's like gambling, you lose the stake so there is a lot at risk if you get the wrong cards. Hope this helps.

03:44 AM Sep 16 2007 |

irfu

India

i m not understand ….................

08:44 AM Sep 26 2007 |

irfu

India

hi…......................................

hw  r  u…................frnds

08:48 AM Sep 26 2007 |

JALIL NASERI

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Hi dear net friend.i hope you and the other guys in this site fine .yes, "I have a lot at stake".you know at stake means at risk or in danger or supposed to danger .so your sentence defeinetly means "most of my things ( or maybe my work) are at risk .it is better to know that this sentence is a simple sentence and it is not an idiom .so its meaning is simple either.thanks

11:29 AM Sep 26 2007 |

theskipper

Saudi Arabia

I think most of the members did great, and you should understood it by now, the guys didn't leave me a chance to add some other explanations, and the best was Lu's.

Keep on Practicing English. Good luck to every one is learning English.

Thanks.

The Skipper

07:46 PM Sep 26 2007 |