Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

what is correct?

Vilena

Vilena

Russian Federation

What is correct

"in time" or "on time"?

"on page" or "at page"?

09:46 AM Apr 10 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

black"n"blue

Saudi Arabia

yup you were corected too late for me ..

03:02 PM Apr 10 2007 |

Vilena

Vilena

Russian Federation

Thank you very much Morlandus Sama.
In Russian books I saw 2 variants.
And what about “in time” and “on time”?

05:31 AM Apr 11 2007 |

silent_sam

silent_sam

Canada

Vilena,

Both "in time" and "on time" are correct.  the meaning is a bit different …

IN TIME

"I arrive to work in time to have a coffee before I start the day" Meaning I give myself extra time.

ON TIME

"I got to school on time this morning" meaning I arrived at the exact time or just before the exact time.

Wink hope this helps

05:41 AM Apr 11 2007 |

janacalicut

India

on time means, on an expected or specified time without delay. eg: the train comes on time. in time means, within a specified time . eg the train comes in 1 hour. i t may come at any time , after 20 minuits or 30 minuits or 40, but before one hour. hope u have got it

05:45 AM Apr 11 2007 |

Vilena

Vilena

Russian Federation

Silent Sam, thanks a lot!

Russian books give 2 variants with the meaning "To arrive at the exact time".

Janacalicut, if SIlent Sam is right, we must say "the train comes in (not on) time.

Who's mistaken, my friends?

10:47 AM Apr 11 2007 |

KayG

KayG

United Kingdom

You would normally say'the train came on time' if it was at the exact time stated on the timetable.  But if you were hoping, for example, that the train would come in before you fall asleep, then you might say 'the train came in time'

07:43 PM Apr 11 2007 |

silent_sam

silent_sam

Canada

Hello again,

Ok Jana's explanation is good, but it's about a different use of "in" as a preposition of time.  If you say :"My class starts in 10 minutes" here "in" introduces a specified amount of time before something happens.  

Now, if you use "in time" then you are saying that there is extra time before the specific time that something should happen.  Like this:"George arrived in time to have a smoke before his students arrived."  this means … George came to work early so he has time to smoke a cigarette first, and then start his lesson.

I  hope this is a better explanation.

08:18 PM Apr 11 2007 |

Vilena

Vilena

Russian Federation

Thanks everebody!

You helped me a lot.Laughing

05:23 AM Apr 12 2007 |

evenstar

evenstar

Philippines

In time: can mean someday, sooner or later or soon. talks about the future. For example:

In time,   I would forget about what happened.

In time could also mean a duration or an extra amount of time for an action before another action takes place.

I turned in my report just in time for my next class.

On time: not late or tardy, exact. also, another idiomatic expression for that would be "on the dot" just in case you encounter this.

He arrived at the bus station on time.

09:55 AM Apr 14 2007 |

isabellaego

Botswana

ON TIME

AT PAGE

04:53 AM Apr 22 2007 |