Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

how can i learn the english's slang?too difficult....

mahiii

mahiii

Egypt

i wanna know how can i learn the slangs.i can't do that by myself.actually i attemped but i failed to do that.if anyone give some advices.i will be very thankfull.

12:55 PM Jun 26 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Sina16

Sina16

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

u have to talk more with english native speakers

per a day ,hour & even minute.

it will help u to improve ur skills to use them.

03:48 PM Jun 26 2009 |

dreamerhh

Oman

me too i wanna learn them ,when i learn some slangs , i forget them after a while coz i dont use them,it needs practice

09:43 PM Jun 26 2009 |

mahiii

mahiii

Egypt

thnx Nu for the new words.i will be very happy if u give me more slangs because iam really wanna know it.thnx again bye.

04:29 PM Jun 27 2009 |

rongz

Canada

thanks a lot.

08:49 AM Jun 30 2009 |

Dissipator

Dissipator

Ukraine

Nu, when you get to "Z", these slang words won't be actual any more. Wink

Be careful using blow, it can mean oral sex. I think it was also a slang for cocaine in the 1980's.

I think it's actual for coke (cocaine) even nowadays. Also it can mean "to smoke weed (marijuana)"

bust
Be careful using it too, it can mean "to orgasm, to ejaculate"

bummer
Meaning – bad experience

Actually, you have to be careful using it too, because it also has another meaning. But being a shy guy InnocentI don't dare to sound it. If you are interested, use internet.

12:12 PM Jun 30 2009 |

Le beau prince

Saudi Arabia

buy it

If you don't slow down, you're going to buy it in a car accident.
Meaning – die

in Arabic it is the opposite ''sell it''

slang is useless for non-native

10:03 PM Jun 30 2009 |

Dissipator

Dissipator

Ukraine

slang is useless for non-native
very arguably. Sure, noone obliges you to use slang, but you have to understand what you are told, because noone forbids native speakers to use it, either. Besides, sometimes slang words and expressions are used more commonly and oftener than their literary analogues. But I agree that it's funny when non-naitive speakers who barely mastered an alphabet throw slang expressions to and beside the point.

09:58 AM Jul 02 2009 |

Pearlgirl121

United States

Slang refers to informal/nonstandard vocabulary or expressions, and idioms are words/phrases which have a figurative rather than literal meaning that is common to a specific group. For example, "kicks" is American (more specifically, African American) slang for "shoes", and "kick the bucket" is an American idiom which means "to die". Some ways to learn and retain them:

1.  Choose a few at a time, write them down on index cards and use them all day every day until you know them. You can even use them with people who have no idea what you're talking about because you'll have to explain the meaning (which will help reinforce the meaning for you, too).

2.  Watch movies and t.v. (better yet, watch with others who are trying to learn slang and practice together).

3.  Play slang/idiom games with others i.e. defining and using your favorite term and creating a sentence for other people's favorites (there's already a forum started on this site by others who are learning.  Go to English Talk Forum then go to slang and idioms game started by Dissipator).

I am also listing some good books to check out on Amazon's website.  Hope this helps and good luck!

1.  American English Idiomatic Expressions in 52 Weeks, by John Holleman.

2.  A Year in the Life of an ESL (English Second Language) Student:  Idioms and Vocabulary You Can't Live Without, by Edward J. Francis.

3.  A Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English, by Eric Partridge.

The first 2 books present terms in situational contexts which is a great way to increase the likelihood that you'll remember.

09:24 PM Jul 07 2009 |

Pearlgirl121

United States

Le Beau Prince,

The idiom is actually "bite it" not "buy it" as in "if you don't slow down, you're gonna bite it in a car accident".  It is a variation of "bite the dust".  You and Dissipator do have a point about slang/idioms being maybe a bit too much for someone who is learning the language.  It is probably better to start off by researching and learning a few of the most common ones (one's that are practically everyday words), and leaving the in-depth jargon for future learning.

09:33 PM Jul 07 2009 |

xingfen

xingfen

China

hi

01:35 AM Jul 08 2009 |