Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

To be fluent

Meverick

Meverick

Pakistan

To be fluent you have to be able to make one sentence in different way

Example:

I am willing to attend the party.  
  1. I have a mind to attend the party
  2. I have a plan to attend the party
  3. I intend to attend the party
  4. I am gonna attend the party
  5. I will attend the party

11:41 AM Oct 07 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

IngridyRibeiro

Brazil

To be fluent you have to trust in your capacity and study everyday, practice everyday:)

07:01 PM Oct 07 2009 |

wishtolearn

El Salvador

to be fluent you have to read a lot. read read and read no matter if you dont know how to pronounce  certain words, and you will notice that on the long run it will improve your hearing and speaking in english!! just as i did!!!

10:56 PM Oct 11 2009 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

I think Maverick wanted to start a thread where each person writes a sentence in several different ways. You can do this by using different words, or you can do it by changing your voice. 

The beauty of English is that you can say many things, many different ways. Don't get stuck on one word in a sentence. If you can't think of the word, change the sentence around and use other words.

Maverick, don't use 'gonna'. That is not a word and it looks bad. Always use 'going to', I am going to attend the party. Gonna, wanna, shoulda, are not words. If you get in the habit of using them, they will pop up somewhere important, such as a job application or something like that. Friendly advice, ok? :)

I'm going now,

I'm heading out,

I'm leaving,

I'm out of here.

Asta la vista!

(examples) 

02:23 PM Oct 13 2009 |

Meverick

Meverick

Pakistan

Mapleleaf Man 

Thanks buddy for making them understand whatever I wanted to be done here. As we would have seen and listened to the Native Speakers they keep on changing their way of making sentences by the dint of which they speak fluently

To change the ways of making sentences is called “Collocation” it collocates your sentences and enable you to make festinating speeches.

Further, I would like to say thanks for your advice.

Although I entirely see eye to eye with you that we are not supposed to use “Gonna” Wanna” in our speaking yet it is being used now days in every English movie and songs therefore we are compelled to use it.

I really forbid all of my students not to use gonna in writing but in spite of that we should be aware of these sort of consolidated words.

And I really glade to see that you gave me a piece  of advice and hope you will do the same in future cause I am here to improve my English.

I wash my face once in blue moon

I wash my face few and far between

I wash my face once in year

07:25 PM Oct 14 2009 |

Meverick

Meverick

Pakistan

Hi everybody due to the dearth of time I couldn’t expound what I wanted to be done here. As Mapleleaf   has explained deeply so let the sentences be made in different ways so that we may be fluent by exchanging the structures   

07:42 PM Oct 14 2009 |

zahraa flower

Algeria

Hello friends,

i liked this way and i think it s realy good to make as fluent

so, could we use a different sentence

• Give me my bag please,

Hand me my bag please,

Could you give me my bag,

05:45 PM Oct 15 2009 |

Smily Girl

Smily Girl

Palestinian Territory, Occupied

and to be fluent you have to read all comments and get benifits of them,

thanks all ,really its good topic to be fluent and  good at english lanuage.

09:07 PM Oct 15 2009 |