Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

what u will do

Sarah Morad

Palestinian Territory, Occupied

what you will do if 2 persons will die but you can save one of them just one u can save his life the first one you love him but he doesnt love u the second one loves u but u dont love him who u will save ? just choose one 

10:01 PM Jul 24 2011 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

rashid77

rashid77

Saudi Arabia

Sorry Mrs Cranberry, i should of read your profile.

you misinterpretated me again. I know how to read lady. The word ’’silly’’ is offensive at any degree. Try to say ’’silly’’ to your kid and see how he/she would respond.

Anyway, it my pleasure to talk with person like you.

Have a great day

02:48 AM Jul 28 2011 |

rashid77

rashid77

Saudi Arabia

Mrs. Cranberry,

are you a teacher here ?

tecahing English ?

Regards,

03:47 AM Jul 28 2011 |

MsX

MsX

Russian Federation

rashid77,

Before accusing anybody of using an abusive language, you’d better study the meaning of the words which you don’t like … just in case … so that you could be sure. It’s not criticism, it’s just a piece of advice.

What does the word “silly’ mean? Do you know its origin?

According to Oxford Dictionary the origin of the word “silly” is the following:

Silly: late Middle English (in the sense ‘deserving of pity or sympathy’): alteration of dialect seely ‘happy’, later ‘innocent, feeble’, from a West Germanic base meaning ‘luck, happiness’. The sense ‘foolish’ developed via the stages ‘feeble’ and ‘unsophisticated, ignorant

So, what is so offensive in the word “silly”? It’s not a swear or profanity word and it’s commonly used in modern English.

06:36 AM Jul 28 2011 |

MsX

MsX

Russian Federation

I for one, also consider this topic inappropriate and even tactless because

Normal people wouldn’t waste their time on thinking which of the two people they have to save in such a situation, they will try to do their best to save the both.

06:42 AM Jul 28 2011 |

rashid77

rashid77

Saudi Arabia

MsX,

thanks for your describing the word ’’silly’’.

I totally understand the  meaning of  this word, but if you go back and read how the comment was written you will understand.

07:02 AM Jul 28 2011 |

MsX

MsX

Russian Federation

rashid77

I’ve already read all the comments from the beginning up to the end so, I am not going to read them again. But I have a question to you:

Why do you keep asking Cranberry if she is a teacher? I know that you will deny it, but I feel a strong irony in this word of you “a teacher”. I am also a teacher. And I know many other teachers on this site who have come here to master their language and also to help others do it. What is bad in being a teacher? And where we would all be without them?

Allah is also a teacher, isn’t he? And so is Jesus.

It’s a rhytorical question. You do not need to answer it because everybody knows the answer.

07:47 AM Jul 28 2011 |

MsX

MsX

Russian Federation

I would like to tell a true story which happened in the South of Russia last summer. One woman was trying to resque several drowning children. Among them there was her child too. The currents were too strong and she managed to rescue only few of them. Both her child and she drowned.

Didn’t she think of rescuing her own child? Of course, she did. She wanted it most of all but she failed and it was not her fault but her tragedy.

By the way, she was also a teacher.

08:07 AM Jul 28 2011 |

MsX

MsX

Russian Federation

ok Mr cranberry when i write anything in this site sont reply this is better for me and you

Oops! A monopoly right to posting comments??? Life is getting curiousier and curiousier … :-D

Cranberry is not Mr, she is Mrs, Dear Mr. Sarah Morad!

08:43 AM Jul 28 2011 |

MsX

MsX

Russian Federation

Sarah Morad,

Why have you deleted your comment? Laughing

It’s very often much wiser to confess the fact that you’ve made a mistake than to remove its traces … Laughing

08:52 AM Jul 28 2011 |