Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

DO YOU WANT TO PRACTICE YOUR ENGLISH?...

ilyasma

ilyasma

Sri Lanka

Hi there!

How are you today? i hope you have a nice day and i just want to share tips and secrets to improve english… if you are really like to improve your english? feel free to contact me at any time at ...

here you go for one of my secrets to improve your english…

LISTEN! LISTEN! AND LISTEN!

Students sometimes say: 'I don't listen to the BBC news
on the radio because it's too fast for me and I can't
understand it.' That's a pity! When it's too fast for
you, when you can't understand it, that is exactly when
you NEED to listen to it!!!

How can you improve if you don't listen and practise?

When you were a baby, did you understand your own
language? When you were 3 weeks old, or 2 months, or 1
year, did you understand everything? Of course not! But
you learned to understand by listening. Think about
it. You learned to understand your own language by
listening, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. After that,
you learned to speak. Then you learned to read. And then
you learned to write.

But listening came first!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND HAVE A NICE DAY

I HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU

ILYAS

12:02 PM Aug 14 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

spanky

spanky

Thailand

Hello My friends. Thank yor for your good tips.
Sunny

02:35 AM Aug 21 2007 |

ilyasma

ilyasma

Sri Lanka

Hi Minora,

I am glad to read your comments and i appreciated your tips as well, i just wanted to say that insted collecting in your note-book. bring it up to your daily life… use them in your daily life. look for environments that you can use your english, and i am sure you will be proud of yourself. 

thank you once again for your kind post in here…

wish you a nice day

Ilyas 

07:59 AM Aug 21 2007 |

scolynic

United Kingdom

Ok !

I think we will be good friefd.Also your English will be improved so much

08:16 AM Aug 21 2007 |

ilyasma

ilyasma

Sri Lanka

HHi Friends how is your day today? I would like to share some TTelephone phrases in English with you that, How to answer and speak oon the phone. And I am extremely sorry if you feel bore on my tips. AAnswering the phone   GGood morning/afternoon/evening, Englishbaby International, Ilyas sSpeaking. Who's calling, please?  IIntroducing yourself TThis is Ilyas speaking. HHello, this is Ilyas from Englishbaby International. AAsking for someone CCould I speak to Mohammed, please? I'I'd like to speak to Mohammed, please. CCould you put me through to Mohammed, please? CCould I speak to someone who …  EExplaining I'I'm afraid Mr Mohammed isn't in at the moment. I'I'm sorry, he's in a meeting at the moment. I'I'm afraid he's on another line at the moment PPutting someone on hold  JJust a moment, please. CCould you hold the line, please? HHold the line, please. PProblems I'I'm sorry, I don't understand. Could you repeat that, please? I'I'm sorry, I can't hear you very well. Could you speak up a little, pplease? I'I'm afraid you've got the wrong number. I'I've tried to get through several times but it's always engaged. CCould you spell that, please? PPutting someone through OOne moment, please. I'll see if Mr Mohammed is available. I'I'll put you through. I'I'll connect you. I'I'm connecting you now TTaking a message  CCan I take a message? Would you like to leave a message? CCan I give him/her a message? I'I'll tell Mr Mohammed that you called I'I'll ask him/her to call you as soon as possible. I I wish you good luck and have a nice Tuesday… III am one of your loving friends…

IlIlyas

08:31 AM Aug 21 2007 |

ilyasma

ilyasma

Sri Lanka

Hi Friends how is your day! I would like to share some Telephone language and phrases in English with you that, How to answer and speak on the phone. And I am extremely sorry if you feel bore on my tips.

Answering the phone

Good morning/afternoon/evening, Englishbaby International, Ilyas speaking.

Who's calling, please?

Introducing yourself

This is Ilyas speaking.

Hello, this is Ilyas from Englishbaby International.

Asking for someone

Could I speak to Mohammed, please? I'd like to speak to Mohammed, please. Could you put me through to Mohammed, please?

Could I speak to someone who …

Explaining

I'm afraid Mr Mohammed isn't in at the moment. I'm sorry, he's in a meeting at the moment.

I'm afraid he's on another line at the moment

Putting someone on hold

Just a moment, please. Could you hold the line, please?

Hold the line, please.

Problems

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Could you repeat that, please? I'm sorry, I can't hear you very well. Could you speak up a little, please? I'm afraid you've got the wrong number. I've tried to get through several times but it's always engaged.

Could you spell that, please?

Putting someone through

One moment, please. I'll see if Mr Mohammed is available. I'll put you through. I'll connect you.

I'm connecting you now

Taking a message

Can I take a message? Would you like to leave a message? Can I give him/her a message? I'll tell Mr Mohammed that you called

I'll ask him/her to call you as soon as possible.

I wish you good luck and have a nice Tuesday…  

I am one of your loving friends…

Ilyas

08:34 AM Aug 21 2007 |

ilyasma

ilyasma

Sri Lanka

I am sorry i dont' know whats wrong with forum, i just copy and pasted it from word  document… if you can not understand please feel free to ask me i will try to write it again for you…

i appologize about it.

Thank you

Ilyas

08:38 AM Aug 21 2007 |

ilyasma

ilyasma

Sri Lanka

First of all i am extremely sorry…its me again and i typed it once again… thank you for your time in advance.

Aswering the Phone

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening, Englishbaby International, Ilyas speaking. Who is calling, please?

Intoroducing yourself

This is Ilyas speaking. Hello, or This is Ilyas from Englishbaby International.

Asking for someone

Could i speak to Mohammed, please?

May i speak to Mohammed, please?

I'd like to speak to Mohammed, please.

Could you put me through to Mohammed, Please?

Could i speak to someone who….(say the name that you are looking for)

Explaining

I'm afraid Mr. Mohammed isn't in at the moment.

I'm sorry, he's in a meeting at the moment.

I'm afraid he's on another line at the moment.

Puttuing someone on hold

Just a moment, please.

Could you hold the line, please?

Hold the line, please.

Problems

I'm sorry, i don't understand. could you repeat that, please?

I'm sorry, I can't hear you very well. could you speak up a litttle, please?

I'm afrid to get through several times but it's always engaged.

Could you spell that, please?

Putting someone through

One moment, please. I'll see if Mr. Mohammed is available.

I'll put you thrugh.

I'll connect you.

I'm connecting you now.

Taking a message

Can i take a message?

Would you like to leave a message?

Can i give him/her a message?

I'll tell Mr. Mohammed that you called

I'll ask him/her to call you as soon as possible.

Good Luck to you…

Ilyas.

09:03 AM Aug 21 2007 |

rida_nicest

Indonesia

hi ilyas, i am rida of indonesia. i am a student. i am learning english at college. could i be one of your pen-pals? well, like others who always try to find the best way to improve his or her english, i also find that 'listening' is one of the easiest but the best ways to improve our english. so i think i share the same opinion as yours. i hope that we can share many things to improve our english. nice to see you ilyas, cu Wink  

09:19 AM Aug 21 2007 |

rida_nicest

Indonesia

hi ilyas, i am rida of indonesia. i am a student. i am learning english at college. could i be one of your pen-pals? well, like others who always try to find the best way to improve his or her english, i also find that 'listening' is one of the easiest but the best ways to improve our english. so i think i share the same opinion as yours. i hope that we can share many things to improve our english. nice to see you ilyas, cu Wink  

09:20 AM Aug 21 2007 |

ilyasma

ilyasma

Sri Lanka

Hi there Rida,

Its nice to meet you and thank you for wrting me…we welcome you to the forum and wish you all every success in your life.

well, i have seen in the form that you were asking a quetion that What is the difference between During and while? ,

here i would like to answer your question, First of all let me say that 'DURING' is a preposition and 'WHILE' is a conjunction.

The words During and while have similar meanings but are used differently grammatically. here i would like to share some very basic explanation…

The word during is followed by a noun or noun phrase: DURING my vacation in Sri Lanka i made lots of friends.

The word WHILE is followed by a clause (subject+verb): WHILE i was in Sri Lankai made lots of friends.

You would also use WHILE in cases where a clause is understood, but some of the words have been omitted: WHILE in Sri Lanka i made lots of friends.

here you go for more…

We met DURING the Eid holidays.

I learned English WHILE i was working in a Oil Company in Saudi Arabia.

It happened WHILE i was out.

It happened DURING my lunch break.

It happened DURING the flooding.

I fall asleep DURING the film.

I fall asleep WHILE i was watching the film.

We had a lot of trouble DURING the journey.

WHILE working there, i met some really nice people.

i hope it may good enough to clear your confution ya?

thanks for asking at englishbaby…

Good Luck to us…

ILyas

10:11 AM Aug 21 2007 |