Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

I need your opinions

nyayuAZ

nyayuAZ

Indonesia

hello I’m Nyayu and I’m Indonesian. I have a presentation subject in my college. and my lecturer asked us to use British Culture as a theme. I choose British Slang Word as my topic. my lecturer asked to me what is the significance to the English languge? and I feel a little bit confused, and can you help me? I’m newbie here :)

12:31 AM May 23 2012 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Eleniya

Eleniya

Russian Federation

Slang is an informal language sometimes peculiar to a particular social class or group and its use in Britain dates back to before the 16th century. The language of slang, in common with the English language, is changing all the time; new words and phrases are being added and some are used so frequently by so many, they almost become mainstream.

The nations of England, Scotland, Wales and Northen Ireland all have their own slang words, as does even London. London slang has many varieties, the best known of which is rhyming slang. Some of these terms are used in other countries, such as Australia or Canada.

Some slang was developed because of a need for secrecy, such as prison slang, believed to be derived from thieves jargon.

Slang is also used to create an identity or sense of belonging and a number of occupations have their own slang; most notably the armed forces, referred to as Forces or Service slang; and the construction industry.

The introduction acknowledges that slang is an ever changing language with new slang terms emerging all the time. It also recognises that some service slang has made its way into civilian use. Examples of this include the old naval terms, “Talking bilge” (nonsense) and “A loose cannon” (an unorthodox person with the potential to cause harm).

08:45 AM May 23 2012 |

MESS

MESS

Turkey

Hi Nyayu,

If it is supposed to be an academic presentation, you had better refer to academic works and add references, too. Here is a good book about the use of slang.

Check the link below:

http://www.google.com.tr/books?hl=tr&lr=&id=fuvhOkKBoC8C&oi=fnd&pg=PP2&dq=importance+of+slang+in+britain&ots=3i0Bo_CebE&sig=2CWimkzx9HTm58_3qiyk1k8rcj8&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=importance%20of%20slang%20in%20britain&f=false

Best of luck!

09:16 AM May 23 2012 |

nyayuAZ

nyayuAZ

Indonesia

thank you for both of you Eleniya and MESS :)

02:17 AM May 24 2012 |