Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Hesitae and Doubt, What is the difference?

zero3de

zero3de

Mexico

Hello world, well I hope you can help me to catch the difference between HESITATE and DOUBT, I mean, when do you use each one?

Hope any answers from you…thank you and God bless you…

11:59 PM Oct 13 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

kochin

Trinidad and Tobago

To hestitate is the time before you have made a decision, or action.

To doubt is to believe something may be wrong.

Despite my doubts, I did not hesitate. 

01:53 AM Oct 14 2007 |

coolest ^_*

United Arab Emirates

yes I think Kochin is right …

I will give you for example :

I am hestite between two things 

I am doubtful of his ability to pass

09:25 AM Oct 14 2007 |

coolest ^_*

United Arab Emirates

I hope you understand me …

09:25 AM Oct 14 2007 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

coolest, that's not quite it, but good try. The second sentence is correct, I would use 'about' instead of 'of' but it makes sense. The first one, however, is a bit confusing.
If you use 'I' you could say, I am hesitant about buying that new CD. For someone else you could say, "I saw her hesitate before she went through the door." 

The word 'hesitant' is more commonly used, as is hesitated. I am hesitant about saying yes to you. She hesitated before crossing the street.

I hope this makes it a bit clearer. Hesitate implies a thought process before taking an action. Pause is a length of time that you get when you hesitate but you can pause and not think about something. If you hesitate, you are considering options before proceeding. I hope this helps. 

01:52 PM Oct 14 2007 |

coolest ^_*

United Arab Emirates

ohh I'm sorry I'm just tryingEmbarassed

04:40 PM Oct 14 2007 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

No no, that is fine coolest! I'm sorry I gave you the impression that there was anything out of line in your answer. I was trying to help you and the original poster here. Sorry!

02:40 AM Oct 15 2007 |