Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

not inshape

Kenith

Australia

<!-==text==begin==-> Hi,
just forgot toask:
Suppose I didn’t put my glasses properlyand it was “hit” by something, so now it became”out of shape”(is this term right?). If I go to anoptometrist and ask for help, what should I say?”Can you re-shape my glasses please?” Is thatright?

Thanks!
Kenith

Replies:
<!-==10722==0==end==->

10:48 PM May 20 2001 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Joan

China

<!-==text==begin==-> Hi, Kenith! If yourglasses get bent out of shape you would ask theoptometrist to either straighten the frames orjust fix them.

Joan <!-==10722==960==end==->

02:24 AM May 21 2001 |

maria

Bouvet Island

<!-==text==begin==-> Can I use “to get bend outof shape” for other things too? Could you give mesome examples? <!-==10722==964==end==->

06:25 PM May 21 2001 |

Joan

China

<!-==text==begin==-> Hi, Maria!

“Get bentout of shape” is a very useful phrase. Almostanything that is usually a firm shape can “getbent”. A metal chair could get bent out ofshape if it gets hit hard; a piece of woodfurniture that had water damage that changed it’sshape might be bent out of shape...

Thisis also an idiomatic phrase - we say “hey, don’tget bent out of shape” if someone seems very upsetor worried about something. Here’s a sampleconversation:

Maria: Say, Joan, what’swrong? You look like you might cry.
Joan:Oh, my boss just told me I have to rewrite thisreport,
and that’s a bighassle.
Maria: Don’t get bent out of shape, Ican help you!

Hope you don’t mind that Iused our names. :
)

Joan <!-==10722==966==end==->

12:33 AM May 22 2001 |