Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Why English is so cheap here?

Manglish

Manglish

China

Hi, Everybody,
This is a very nicely designed community here and it is free for menbers and non-menbers to learn English, However, this learning PURELAND has been wasted and mis-used because most of the visitors are not that much keen in learning English. What a shame…..
I am upset because learning English is so cheap here that nobody value it as a precious treasure.
Let me go without a “Good Bye”...........

11:51 AM Apr 20 2006 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

asad100101

Pakistan

yep. All kudos to Englishbaby team for providing high quality stuff for learning English. On top of that, it is free which is rare nowadays :)
so guys enjoy it and have fun at studying lessons!
Asad
Karachi, Pakistan

12:31 PM Apr 20 2006 |

Manglish

Manglish

China

Hi, Asad,
Very rare to to find a person like you who appreciated the efforts of this site owner.
Thanks, and SaLa Malekon…...

01:07 PM Apr 20 2006 |

ummahzy

ummahzy

United States

I just found this site today and I hope all my posts will be of use to somebody out there. You will never find me posting a message that just says “hello everyone”. Curious…do you speak Manglish sometimes? I’m surrounded by it. I think it has its place. But a student has to know how to “turn it off”. When I was a child my mom used to correct me. I used to say “yeah” a lot. She’d tell me to stop saying yeah and say “yes”. I’d always tell her that I was only talking that way because i was at home and relaxed. Then I realized when I was older that she was right to correct me because sometimes I would say “yeah” in a formal setting. Why am I telling you this? Well I guess I am speaking to all those who speak Manglish and Singlish and Spanglish and all the other ishes. Don’t forget to focus on your English. Know the difference between the “ish” and real English. (sorry i changed the subject, but hope it helps someone) :-)

03:09 PM May 09 2006 |

Manglish

Manglish

China

Hi, Ummahzy,
Thank you for favoring me a wonderful reflection on my post.
A dried root survives from a sudden rain. A horse meets his Master who is with loving kindness.
In fact, I am disappointed with this site. Hope you enjoy here.

03:58 PM May 09 2006 |

FlyingCat

FlyingCat

China

Hello,ummahzy!Why are you so strict,are you a teacher?Well,I am afraid you took it too serious.You may live in the “adult world”,but still some one takes the world as a fairy tale.No need to “correct” yeah.Why not try to be simple?Each language is developing every day,to respect the changes is just to respect the rule of the languages.
Personally i think we have the right to say “yeah” “yep”
“yup”or”yes”,no care formal or informal in chatting.Infact,nowadays we don’t call “you” informal while “thee” formal,as long as “you” is acceptable.I might have written some silly words,but I seldom regret of it.Youth is youth.I hope the generatoin gab may disappear one day!

04:37 PM May 09 2006 |

ummahzy

ummahzy

United States

If you read my post again….it said that MY MOTHER corrected me when I said yeah. When I was on a job interview years later, I found myself saying “yeah” instead of “yes”. It was not appropriate in that setting. It’s all about the image you want to project. I would not hire someone to teach my children English if they kept saying “yep” and “yeah” and never said “yes”. IN any case, don’t think me strict. I am far from strict! LOL!

04:51 PM May 09 2006 |

ummahzy

ummahzy

United States

Manglish…yes….you do seem out of place here somehow…I don’t imagine I will last here long. Flying Cat says I am strict! I don’t have much time for places like this….just passing through hoping to make even a little difference for someone. :-)

04:54 PM May 09 2006 |

FlyingCat

FlyingCat

China

Well ummahzy,you denied you are strict,but there’s nothing you can do about the fact,that is, you ARE strict.:D Anyway,i was not dissing you.Just there’s something i can’t relate to,that why most teachers are overreacted with our mistakes,while they often tell us never be afraid of making them. lol Don’t they realize that they were students once upon a time :D

05:07 PM May 09 2006 |

FlyingCat

FlyingCat

China

Wouldn’t you hire someone to teach your children words such as “yep” or”yeah”? Okay,then you may teach these yourself and it will work better.Your children will learn it that you could be a partner who can go hand in hand rather than the dress in front of the class.

05:19 PM May 09 2006 |

Manglish

Manglish

China

For many people here, English is not their mother language. So we learn English from each other in this community.
I started learning my English from speaking all dirty words in daily use which picked up from a 70 years old jewish shoe maker in Boston when I was about 22 in a shoe business. Later on I started writing from Oral English. My boss at that time corrected me a lot and improved me with decent Writen English. I came to realize the difference between Oral English and Writen English. I also found there are quality differences in different levels of English.
Student needs to know the difference so that they can use a proper word to enpower and upgrade their English expression both in verbal or in writen form. It is a teacher’s job to do that correction.
A nice writen English will always be appreciated with reading pleasure.
I hope people will not discourage any good intension in contributing to this Learning Pureland.

12:23 AM May 10 2006 |