Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Why English is so cheap here?

Manglish

Manglish

China

Hi, Everybody,
This is a very nicely designed community here and it is free for menbers and non-menbers to learn English, However, this learning PURELAND has been wasted and mis-used because most of the visitors are not that much keen in learning English. What a shame…..
I am upset because learning English is so cheap here that nobody value it as a precious treasure.
Let me go without a “Good Bye”...........

11:51 AM Apr 20 2006 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

vv10272000

vv10272000

China

The discussion between Ummahzy and Flyingcat is so serious.
Whatever will be happened ,i will still to learn in Englishbaby.
Just like Manglish said that learning English is so cheap here and i value it as a precious treasure.
I hope that all the friends here can forgive my incorrectable expression.
I will practise and learn step by step.

01:30 PM May 14 2006 |

Manglish

Manglish

China

Hello, vv10272000,
Nice to see you here again.
Hope you will agree with me that:
To make a friend:
Rule No.1, Be courteous and polite.
Rule No. 1+, Be friendly not be offensive.
To learn English:
Stay here and stay away from un-friendly friend.

01:59 PM May 14 2006 |

Manglish

Manglish

China

Hi, Snow Chen,
Nice to meet you here.
Our friend Ummahzy was innocently involved into this so called “debate”. I feel sorry for her.
I wish the game is over.
Let us be more heart-centered in both making friend and learning good English here.

04:26 PM May 14 2006 |

ummahzy

ummahzy

United States

thans for the sympathy, but everything happens for a reason, right?
I came across a list of slang web sources during my surfing and it made me think of Flying Cat.
COLLEGE SLANG
gopher://wiretap.spies.com/00/Library/Article/Language/slang.col
GLOSSARY OF HARD-BOILED SLANG
hhttp://pathfinder.com/@@xrKmePFA9gEAQAt8/twep/Library/Mystery_Suspense/slang.html
and
THE ALTERNATIVE ENGLISH DICTIONARY
http://www.notam.uio.no/~hcholm/altlang/ht/English.html
I remember having a really big heavy hardcover slang dictionary years ago. It was one of my favourite books. it listed the origin of the words. Unfortunately I lost it when i moved. Hope you all find something interesting at one or more of those sites. :-)

05:27 AM May 15 2006 |

Manglish

Manglish

China

Hi, thank you for sharing.
Slang is part of our daily life culture. The usage variants between people to people, and between place to place. It is not advisable for the beginner.
It is also not useful in writing a good English as an educated person either. Students can chose what they want to be.
Its easy to learn plenty of slangs and dirty words in Bars.

06:37 AM May 15 2006 |

ummahzy

ummahzy

United States

I’m confused…..is it ever okay to correct someone’s English at this site? How can people come here to learn (so cheap) if they see so many errors. How can they learn the difference between proper English and mistakes?

06:41 AM May 15 2006 |

Manglish

Manglish

China

This is a Free-Talking community. People has right to say anything here. I believe majority readers will appreciate and very clear about what was happening here.
Dont be confused by that. Just let it go. Period.

07:01 AM May 15 2006 |

ummahzy

ummahzy

United States

well i ask about corrections for two reasons
(Not because of that whole thing between me and Flying Cat. Ask any of my students and they’ll tell you I am far from strict and have a healthy sense of humour)
first reason:
I notice errors (which is fine, a major goal is to get people talking)
but i do notice the errors
and people keep posting
and nobody corrects
and people keep talking about learning here
so i am feeling sorry for people who are actually picking up “bad english” here
second reason:
i like the way you express yourself Manlish
so poetically
so when i saw one of your errors, i felt like correcting it
i envision going to your very own poetry blog one day
and finding there
beautifully written english language poetry
and
beatiful chinese poetry that you have skillfully translated to English
so that is why i asked about corrections
those two reasons
:-)

08:11 AM May 15 2006 |

Manglish

Manglish

China

Hello, Sister Ummahzy,
You made your points very clearly here. I really hope all readers on this post will appreciate your kind efoorts in contributing “Correction Service”.
In fact, without a comparison from the correction, students are unable to distinquish what they should chose to digest in learning, a decent or a cheap way of English expression.
Time will prove your good intension will not be in vain or wasted.
I owe you my sincere respect on that.

08:35 AM May 15 2006 |

Manglish

Manglish

China

Majority users here are Chinese. Being a Chinese myself, having broken through the bottle-neck of learning experience, I know exactly what are the difficulties and obstacles may be encountered in learning English. That is the Mandarin-styled English. In order to be useful for my service to the majority in this community, I purposely named myself as “Manglish”. Nothing more and nothing less, just with my heart-centered to be useful.

08:57 AM May 15 2006 |