Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Do you know this student?

ummahzy

ummahzy

United States

he/she can read and listen to English without trouble. he/she does well on grammar tests. However, he/she is unable to put that knowledge to use when it comes to speaking. His/her speaking is not fluent and it’s not accurate. Even worse, he/she is afraid to speak in class. Maybe he/she doesn’t want to disappoint the teacher. Maybe he/she doesn’t want to be embarassed. I can understand how he/she may feel. What I would like to know is: what kinds of activities does this student enjoy doing in class. What kinds of activities make this student relax and speak with more confidence. Can you tell me?...

02:14 PM May 14 2006 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

ummahzy

ummahzy

United States

force him? that doesn’t sound very nice….i think it would embarass him.
what i am asking is this: if you are a person like this…someone who has difficulty speaking up in class
if you are that kind of person, i want to know which activities YOU enjoy, which activities YOU feel more comfortable doing.

05:31 AM May 15 2006 |

Manglish

Manglish

China

I am not in the field of education, therefore my answer may not be correct.
However, if the teaching method is created with some incentives which may lead to a happy and joyful endings.
Make a simple question. If answer is “No”, the teacher will continue to ask “Why not?”, This will lead the student be forced to “go on” answering in English.
If answer is “Yes”, next question will be “Why do you think it is? “give me a good reason”.
During the leaning process, the students can answer in their mother language. The teacher will help to assemble the words in English to a proper sentence. Then repeat the sentence that the students must memorize it for a further exam.
Incentives and initiation are key in teaching.

09:00 AM May 16 2006 |

bommel

bommel

Germany

I know this kind of student and it is pretty hard to get them to talk. I wouldn't recommend forcing them to speak because even though you're trying to help it sure doesn't look like it to the student. These quiet students normally do better when they are talking to their peers, so I let my classes do talkshows, etc. Everybody has to speak, they can prepare what they want to say and most of them enjoy the change from everyday English lessons. Good  luck with your student!

04:08 PM Feb 11 2007 |

WLL820514

WLL820514

China

i think she/he should exercise speaking,with her/his good friendsSmile

06:07 AM Feb 12 2007 |