Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Who can help me learn english?

Cinzia

Cinzia

Italy

Hi!!

I'm from Itlay. I'd like learn to speak english more fluently.

I'm shy and I always worry about  making mistakes.

Is there anyone who can help me get over my fear?

12:51 PM Nov 11 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

gkisseberth

Germany

Hi Cinzia, 

I understand your problem very well. I am trying to learn Spanish (I live in Colombia, so it is very necessary) and I have exactly the same problem. I am very shy about speaking Spanish, because I want it to be perfect.

All I can say is that both of our feelings of fear are silly. No one has ever laughed at me when I made a mistake. If they don't understand, they only ask me to repeat myself, and usually they are very nice and will help me with pronunciation or another mistake, or they will not say anything at all. 

I am very obviously a North American in this city, so everyone knows that Spanish is not my native language, and they are usually very happy that I try to use Spanish instead of expecting them to understand English.

I am sure that English speakers will feel the same way about you. Remember that it's about communication and not perfection. Even native speakers make mistakes. Most of the time, even when you make a mistake in grammar, or sentence structure, or vocabulary, your meaning will be understood, and those mistakes are sometimes the best way to learn.

Just try not to worry so much about it and have fun with the language.

Good luck 

12:58 PM Nov 11 2007 |

Cinzia

Cinzia

Italy

Thank you very much!! Your words confort me!

ok…I'm bolcked…for exemple I'm not sure that "confort"  is the right word to say that your words make me feel better…

I understand that one of my big problem is a poor vocabulary and so I search friend that can  help me speaking with common language not "scolastic" language.

Thank you for your help.Smile

01:08 PM Nov 11 2007 |

gkisseberth

Germany

You're very welcome, Cinzia

The word you are thinking of is "comfort"

That's a good example of what I was trying to say. Even though you weren't sure of the word or the spelling, I still understood your meaning.

The best way to increase your vocabulary is just to read. It doesn't have to be scholastic or academic English. In fact it should be something you are interested in.

01:20 PM Nov 11 2007 |

Cinzia

Cinzia

Italy

I read that you are an English teacher!!!

It's fantastic!!

I make you work even during Sunday!! I hope this is not a problem for you.

Can I propose you to write to eachother? In other words would you like to become my pen-friend? Not here but by email…

02:25 PM Nov 11 2007 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Don't worry, Cinza. I enjoy helpiing people with English 7 days a week. It's good practice for me also

02:32 PM Nov 11 2007 |

phywong

phywong

China

hi,Cinzia.i am phywong from China.i like to practise speaking english with friends like you from all over the world.

your english is excellent.As gkisseberth,the friend friendfrom Colombia said,Sth you are worrying about is sth that all the english speakers` worrying.Have you heard of Liyang whose Crazy English is very famous in China?Mr Liyang tells us not to worry about your mistakes when you speak english.

here on the left is the sign made by me.it is part of chinese traditional culture.

hope to hear from you.

12:15 AM Jun 05 2009 |

izy_ice

izy_ice

Thailand

I used to be like you when I was in a elementary school… I was so afraid of speaking English … but now I'm not anymore..
you know what? since I started talking with neative speakers It made me know that making mistakes aren't that bad… They had never laughed at me when I said something wrong ..but They would help and teach me how to say that in the right way.. That's how I could improve my English …

You could learn many things from your mistakes like me Don't be afraid of it.. just speak out … Speaking English won't make you die.. I promise

:)

02:13 PM Jun 06 2009 |