Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Christmas Movies

Christmas Movies

Date: Dec 25 2020

Themes: Featured, Holidays, Pop Culture

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Everyone knows the true story of Christmas. It’s the story of a boy wanted a BB gun...What’s that? That’s just A Christmas Story, not the Christmas story? Oh. Well in that case it’s the story of Will Ferrell except he was raised by elves and…Wait. That’s not it either?

Huh? It’s about the birth of Jesus Christ? Really? When did that movie come out? Who’s in it?

There a lot of Christmas movies out there. Listen to Marni and Devan talk about a few of their favorites.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Devan

Devan

Marni:  Do you go to see Christmas movies this time of year? Do you get inspired by ‘em?

Devan:  The last Christmas movie to come out that I liked was Elf.

Marni:  Me too! I loved Elf!

Devan:  I loved Elf. I could see that being a classic that I watch every year, like Christmas Story. That’s my all time favorite Christmas movie. But, like, most of my old staples for Christmas movies are like Charlie Brown Christmas, A Christmas Story, It’s a Wonderful Life. I don’t really watch new ones so much except for Elf.

Marni:  Elf was great. It’s a Wonderful Life is a classic. It’s a family tradition and we always watch it on Christmas Eve. I love that film. But Elf was great. It was just hilarious and you know, Christmas Story was also hilarious.

Devan:  I watch that every year. They have the 24-hour marathon.

Marni:  Yup. 24 hours. That’s great. So this year Fred Claus is out, I haven’t seen that yet..yeah, that’s kinda…

Devan:  That looks terrible!

Marni:  Well, it’s a got a great cast! I do love Paul Giarnatti and Vince Vaughn.

Devan:  Have you seen other Christmas movies besides Elf?

Marni:  I haven’t, but it’s kind of interesting, it seems like there’s quite a few out that have just sort of escaped under the radar, but this is always the big time of year.

Devan:  I keep seeing previews for that movie with Queen Latifa in it, the new, um, holiday movie. The Perfect Holiday. I keep seeing previews for that.

Marni:  Yes, yes, a little feelgood number.

Devan:  But I just don’t know if any of these new ones will stand the test of time like those old ones have.

Marni:  Exactly.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Devan says that the only new Christmas movie she likes is Elf. Marni likes it too. They agree that it’s a classic alongside It’s a Wonderful Life, which Marni’s family watches every year.

Marni and Devan try to think of another recent Christmas movie that they like, but it’s hard for them to do. Neither really wants to see Fred Claus, although Marni likes some of the actors in it. The Perfect Holiday looks pretty good, but Marni and Devan just aren’t sure if they can think of anything people will still be watching in 20 years.

What’s your favorite Christmas movie?

Comments

shinhan7918Super Member!

South Korea

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

11:53 AM Dec 25 2020 |

小江

小江

China

It’s great!

12:44 PM Dec 26 2011 |

1 person likes this

su_kayi

su_kayi

Turkey

ı do not understand what is the connection between islam with this article.I am muslim too,We have got to respect other religions.I trust on christians and jews.Allah created all of us.It is not forbidden in my country.If we are muslim you can not restrict other lives.We have got to respet eachothers so diversity makes all people unity.Islam is not a religion to blame eachothers.It is a religion to make a whole world in peaceSmile

06:27 AM Dec 16 2010 |

Joelc

Indonesia

I little understand with the story. spirit…........ yeagh…...... I and you all can do it.

03:08 PM May 13 2009 |

ahmed_ly

ahmed_ly

Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

we the Muslims we don't have Christmas it's forbidden in Islam we two festival in the year call EAID
I love both…..that's our Islam

06:22 AM Dec 23 2008 |

莫言~丫头

莫言~丫头

China

Just so so ~

05:34 AM Dec 23 2008 |

heyarch

United Arab Emirates

حي هم ارحبووووووا

12:51 PM Jan 03 2008 |

long1234561987

China

happy new yearSmile

02:30 AM Jan 03 2008 |

krimo16

Anguilla

I used to watche that movie ELF

10:30 PM Jan 01 2008 |

せんせぃ

China

I think I need more time to catch up with all of you.   I just know a little about the movie.

07:03 AM Jan 01 2008 |

cycleboy

China

I was  very  thankful  that  I could into this web  side  by myself   through free time!

10:03 PM Dec 31 2007 |

ohmygon

Viet Nam

me too, i love Elf, so funny n touching also. all the xmas spirit is in that movie n u can enjoy the traditional xmas songs.

04:47 PM Dec 31 2007 |

taneskay

Malaysia

I haven't watch any of the movie mention in the Dialogue above. But those movies sound very interesting to me. I wish that I've a chance to watch them. 

03:34 PM Dec 31 2007 |

phenixcity

phenixcity

China

more practice is still used

02:32 PM Dec 31 2007 |

丁满

丁满

China

You are so great!`

01:40 PM Dec 31 2007 |

hu ming

hu ming

China

In my bedroom ,the speed of internet is very slow.So i can't watch  the moive .

08:52 AM Dec 31 2007 |

reaco520

reaco520

China

I`m new here ,I want to impprove my english immediately!

06:39 AM Dec 31 2007 |

junl

junl

China

good,worth to see.

03:38 AM Dec 31 2007 |

leimeng1205

China

By working with a group.

09:57 AM Dec 30 2007 |

Christina guo

China

i havent seen the christmas movies.maybe i will try to see some of english movies later,in order to improving the level of english.Tongue out

06:21 AM Dec 30 2007 |

Likes (251):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast