Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Will You Be My Valentine?

Will You Be My Valentine? English, baby! Video Lesson

Date: Feb 08 2008

Themes: Holidays, Romance

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Around the middle of February, you might notice a lot of people wearing pink and red. Some of them will be holding hands and smiling, others weeping in a corner. What’s going on?

You almost forgot! Valentine’s Day is around the corner. February 14th is a holiday that became popular in the middle ages when courtly romance was big. It’s a good time to write a love poem or do something special for the person you’re with or want to be with. But that can be a lot of pressure. Amanda and Devan are a little worried about Valentine’s Day, but luckily, they’ve got each other.

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Amanda

Amanda

Devan

Devan

Amanda:  Hi.

Devan:  Hey.

Amanda:  I just looked at the calendar…not cool. Do you know what’s coming up?

Devan:  Um…your birthday?

Amanda:  No. I’d be excited if it were my birthday.

Devan:  Oh, Valentine’s Day.

Amanda:  Yeah. I’m a romantic and everything, but I just think it’s a ridiculous holiday.

Devan:  Isn’t it? Unless you’re in a relationship it’s just such a letdown.

Amanda:  Absolutely…

Devan:  It’s the most depressing holiday. Sadder than being alone on Christmas.

Amanda:  I completely agree. It pretty much reminds everyone that’s single or has just broken out of a relationship that they are lonely and they have nothing to be happy about. And the pressure that it puts on couples. For no reason on one day…what to buy your boyfriend or girlfriend, just ‘cause?

Devan:  Yeah, it’s pretty much a big slap to the face for anybody who’s not in a happy relationship.

Amanda:  Such a Hallmark holiday, but, you know, I did try to get in the mood and I did bake you some Valentine’s cookies.

Devan:  Oh…

Amanda:  Will you be my Valentine?

Devan:  I’ll be your Valentine. Will you be my Valentine?

Amanda:  Absolutely.

Devan:  Thank you. Cheers.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Amanda seems strangely serious. She says there’s an important day coming and Devan guesses that it’s her birthday. Amanda says that she’d be excited if it were her birthday. Then Devan remembers…Valentine’s Day.

Since both Amanda and Devan like someone who doesn’t appear to like either of them back, they agree that it’s probably going to be a crumby Valentine’s Day.

But even if they both had boyfriends, Valentine’s Day wouldn’t be any easier. There’s the pressure to do something special and buy a gift. Amanda points out that Valentine’s Day is very commercial nowadays.

But, rather than just feel sorry for herself, Amanda made some cookies and asks Devan if she’ll be her Valentine. Normally your lover is your Valentine. But if you don’t have a lover, a friend will do to keep you company. Of course Devan says yes, and it starts to look like maybe Valentine’s Day won’t be so bad after all.

Hey! Didn’t you hear? Ebaby! Has a special love story for Valentine’s Day!

Comments

meiravm221280Super Member!

Israel

I don’t need spacial days to tell my husbend that i love him. I reamember it any second and every moment.

03:00 PM Feb 19 2021 |

Israel

I don’t need spacial days to tell my husbend that i love him. I reamember it any second and every moment.

01:22 PM Feb 19 2021 |

Israel

01:20 PM Feb 19 2021 |

Israel

01:19 PM Feb 19 2021 |

alexdraht

Canada

I had valentine with my wife last year, it was really a good time.

<a href=”www.alexanderfilm.ca”>Vernon Wedding Photography</a>

10:15 PM Feb 23 2020 |

alexdraht

Canada

10:15 PM Feb 23 2020 |

alexdraht

Canada

10:14 PM Feb 23 2020 |

Linnie

China

When the day I meet my Mr.right ,that is the my  Valentines day

08:18 AM Mar 15 2017 |

Sami Aswad

Sami Aswad

Iraq

I haven’t been in relationships before, so no valentines no pressure ;)

10:56 PM Mar 27 2016 |

fethanwilliam

United States

Happy Valentines Days,One more of the grilling contemplations for Valentines Day is prime rib. If you think your sidekick or significant diverse benefits an extra unprecedented dinner, prime rib is astonishing on the fire cook. Watch the prime rib on your fire cook eagerly. You can set up a readied potato which is essential especially in case you fire sear it. Basically scour your potatoes, hit crevices in them with a fork and hose it. Next, wrap the potatoes in individual tin foil. You can incorporate a side dish of your mate/paramount other’s most cherished vegetables. Fire sear the vegetables for straightforwardness and taste. Add spread to the vegetables and potatoes. Salt and pepper to taste.  Valentines Day Ideas For Him

11:14 AM Jan 15 2016 |

NIJ321655

NIJ321655

United States

that when someone you love be your Valentine.

02:11 PM May 20 2015 |

YellovY

YellovY

Aruba

Your Valentine can be your friends, not just for lover. I don’t think valentine day is so special for me because I can express my love for someone anytime :)

12:52 PM Feb 20 2015 |

bunny_buzz

bunny_buzz

Viet Nam

i lost my friendship in this valentine.now i’m very sad

04:12 PM Apr 06 2014 |

inj

inj

Indonesia

everyday is valentine if she stay beside me

09:26 AM Apr 06 2014 |

eduard12

eduard12

Ecuador

well i haven´t a girlfriend yet but u think ask someone i mean a girl be my valentine it´s so quirky

12:48 AM Feb 06 2014 |

setarezarin

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I recieved a bunch of flower and a card on it with Happy Valentine Day by one of my students who really liked me however she was a girl like me I never forgot that day it was 8 years ago.

10:26 AM Dec 23 2013 |

1 person likes this

neilslattery

Canada

I had valentine with my husband last year, it was really a good time.

-------------

Summerhill Weddings | Bridal Portraits | Okanagan Photographers

09:39 AM Jan 21 2013 |

-Benny-

-Benny-

Thailand

true love doesnt need a special day like this to show your lovers that how much you love him or her. anyway it’s another great day to give presents to your lover like Chocolate etc…(for me)

02:47 PM Jan 20 2013 |

JimaIsJima

China

I had valentine with my boyfriend last year,it was really a good time.

01:42 PM Jan 20 2013 |

DominikLi

DominikLi

China

I have never celebrate this day because I don’t have a boy friend,the reason is I’m not interested in love between boys and girls.So when my friends are spending valentine day with their lovers,I just sit alone and laugh:Hey!Look!I’m a single lady.

11:42 AM Jan 19 2013 |

Likes (349):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast