Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Nim's Island

Nim's Island

Date: Jun 11 2008

Themes: Pop Culture, Tech

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Thanks to technology, a lot of people can do their jobs from anywhere. For instance, this lesson was written in a van somewhere between Los Angeles and San Francisco!

In the new movie, Nim’s Island, a scientist lives on an island with his daughter and sends in his research from there. They live a peaceful life, but everything changes when a reporter comes to visit them.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Beren

Beren

Amanda

Amanda

Beren:  So, have you seen the latest Jodie Foster movie? It’s a departure from her other films.

Amanda:  Oh, like Silence of the Lambs?

Beren:  Yeah, it’s a little different!

Amanda:  Yeah, unfortunately…Well not unfortunately. I was going to say that I had to take my kid there the other day because everything else was sold out. And it’s probably more targeted at little girls. But Jodie Foster like you said and that cute little girl from…Abigail...

Beren:  ...Breslin from Little Miss Sunshine.

Amanda:  Yeah! Little Miss Sunshine. How talented is she?

Beren:  She’s really, really good.

Amanda:  She’s blowing up because I feel like there are 10 films with her in them right now.

Beren:  Oh really?

Amanda:  And she does drama pretty well, I have to say, for a girl that young. But yeah, it was a really cute story about a daughter and father that live on this remote island. Nobody knows where they are, but the father is a scientist so he writes and publishes articles from his computer, but nobody knows the location of his island.

Beren:  Whoa.

Amanda:  Yeah. And then Jodie Foster is this writer who has that…what do you call that phobia of…you basically can’t leave your apartment?

Beren:  Oh, agoraphobia?

Amanda:  Yeah. And so she’s using the Purell…

Beren:  The hand sanitizer?

Amanda:  Yeah, the hand sanitizer, like 24/7! She buys that in bulk and has it delivered. So that’s her character. And the little girl and Jodie Foster meet up, so it was quite a stretch for her because she never leaves the apartment, needs Purell, travels to find…

Beren:  Wait. How did they meet each other?

Amanda:  I’m not gonna tell you. You’ve gotta go see it. It’s only 80 minutes.

Beren:  Sounds like the plot to Jurassic Park kind of.

Amanda:  Kind of.

Beren:  Except without the dinosaurs.

Amanda:  Right, or the island.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Nim’s Island is a little different than some other movies Jodie Foster has made, like Silence of the Lambs. She’s teamed up with Abigail Breslin for a fun movie in which she plays a reporter who travels to an island despite the fact that she’s afraid of leaving her apartment!

Do have to work in a particular place or can you telecommute? If you could work from anywhere, where would you go?

Comments

havvauslu3

Turkey

ı have to download the dıalogue for my final assignment but ı can't. what should I do? by the way the film is  a bit nonsense:D but enjoyable

12:41 PM May 11 2009 |

fancybuffy

Philippines

i haven't watched this movie is it very interesting?

06:25 PM Jun 17 2008 |

nive

nive

Lesotho

Coolthat was  a good one…..................

09:58 AM Jun 17 2008 |

tircht

tircht

Morocco

merci sur les information thx

09:44 AM Jun 16 2008 |

binxiong2004

China

How to watch the movie?

01:30 PM Jun 15 2008 |

wwee

Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

hi im from libya

thanks 

08:19 AM Jun 15 2008 |

luter

China

hi,io like the film,too

10:17 AM Jun 14 2008 |

Domingopr

Domingopr

Puerto Rico

I prefered work fro my home .  That what I actully do . My boss is in Brasil , my coworker are in Colombia , Argentina , El Salvador .

02:10 AM Jun 14 2008 |

Anwendy

China

It,s really nice to meet u all..

05:33 AM Jun 13 2008 |

Anwendy

China

It,s really nice to meet u all..

05:33 AM Jun 13 2008 |

getchar

getchar

Algeria

Since i didn't see Jodie's movies..!i just  want to thank all people behind the developping of the technology..who worked hard to make confortable the life of a humain being…

10:07 PM Jun 12 2008 |

ALIREZA

ALIREZA

United States

I've watched this movie.I like the relationship between the father and girl.Also it has a great story so i enjoyed that .

07:02 PM Jun 12 2008 |

amay

China

only hear the first dialogue

03:23 PM Jun 12 2008 |

isha_verma96

India

HI I M ISHA  I READ UR MAIL AND R U ON LINE THIS TIME

10:56 AM Jun 12 2008 |

feresyosira

Turkey

Wow! Has someone mentioned Abigail Breslin? This little angel is the cutest thing on televisions and cinema screens I think. In LIttle Miss Sunshine she was awesome like other crew. I'll not miss that movie then.

08:29 AM Jun 12 2008 |

irawati

Indonesia

In the movie Jody Foster describe that technology can help us to handle our problem.
The Developing and inovation technologies,such as internet, handphone and faximile, help us to communicate with people wherever you live ? In fact, I must work and live in boarding school in the small villages. But I can contact and communicate by internet or handphone. Live is more easy by using a modern technologies, right ?

07:49 AM Jun 12 2008 |

islamzeb

islamzeb

Pakistan

hi i am zeb from pakistan 22 years old and i want to improve my english with ur help if u want to chat with me my yahoo messenger id is       i want to improve my english im online from 9.00 am to 6.00 pm 

yours

islam zeb

05:49 AM Jun 12 2008 |

islamzeb

islamzeb

Pakistan

hi i am zeb from pakistan 22 years old and i want to improve my english with ur help if u want to chat with me my yahoo messenger id is       i want to improve my english im online from 9.00 am to 6.00 pm 

yours

islam zeb

05:46 AM Jun 12 2008 |

VOLTS

VOLTSSuper Member!

Brazil

I need watch it

12:13 AM Jun 12 2008 |

ruanjable

ruanjable

China

Jody Foster is such a nice talented girl who's really, really good. And the movie is also cool!

04:09 PM Jun 11 2008 |

Likes (26):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast