Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Where'd My Friend Go?

Where'd My Friend Go? English, baby! Video Lesson

Date: Jun 24 2008

Themes: Hobbies, Soap Opera

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

It’s always a mixed bag when a good friend gets into a relationship. Of course you’re happy for your friend since everyone wants to find a good relationship, but then you notice that you’re spending a lot more time alone than you used to. Where’d your friend go?

Ever since Mason and Amanda got together, they haven’t been hanging out with their friends as much as they used to. It makes sense that they’d want to spend a lot of time together and there’s even been some drama that the rest of the group doesn’t know about. But that doesn’t mean that Jason doesn’t miss his best friend.

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Beren

Beren

Jason

Jason

Beren:  It’s a nice day.

Jason:  It is. It’s not raining, but it might be any second. You know, a day like this, I’d usually see if Mason wanted to play basketball or something, but…

Beren:  You should call him.

Jason:  I could, but he’s just always doing stuff with Amanda…not really up for bro time lately.

Beren:  Yeah. What’s that all about? I haven’t seen Mason and Amanda in so long.

Jason:  I know. They’re one of those weird couples that kind of hides out. They’re not a social couple, like a good unit.

Beren:  What do they do?

Jason:  I don’t even know what they do. I guess they just like…I don’t know…what do couples do, like, I mean…

Beren:  If you’re not hanging out with friends?

Jason:  Yeah.

Beren:  Besides the obvious?

Jason:  Yeah. Maybe they’ve taken up bridge or something.

Beren:  Pinochle?

Jason:  Pinochle! But I mean, has that ever happened to you? You just kind of lose track of a best friend when they end up in a couple or whatever?

Beren:  Yeah totally. Or I’m always the one accused of ending up in a couple like that. So I understand.

Jason:  It’s something you have to be careful of, but it’s not that hard just to stay in touch with your friends. We’ll see. Maybe once the honeymoon period is over he’ll hang out some more.

Beren:  You should call him.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

The weather is nice. It’s not raining, but it’s not too hot either. Jason says he’d usually call Mason to see if would like to play basketball on a day like that, but Mason doesn’t really hang out with him anymore. He’s always busy with Amanda.

Jason and Beren can’t figure out what Mason and Amanda do all the time, but whatever they’re up to these days, no one has seen much of them lately. Jason and Beren joke that Mason and Amanda started playing bridge or pinochle, card games that are popular with old people.

Beren says that she has both lost friends to relationships and been accused by her friends of disappearing when she started dating someone. She tells Jason that he should give Mason a call.

Has one of your friends ever started dating someone and stopped hanging out with you? What did you do?

Comments

NIJ321655

NIJ321655

United States

They move and never see them agiqan unlass you loive over there.

09:05 PM Apr 19 2016 |

Mk-Babar

Mk-Babar

Pakistan

Anybody interested to practice English and to share knowledge.. add me at skype.. We will have chating, voice calls, conference calls. skype id: cruiser40403

11:48 AM Jan 19 2013 |

1 person likes this

Crizsearch

Crizsearch

Indonesia

I guess some people always changed after relationship, yeah but I think it’s very normal , It’s okay as long as they with friend and society for short awhile, unless a run away couple who always hide out from society, I think couples less hang out because they want to spend more time with their love one, and they don’t feel free anymore like need to ask permission from their pasrtner before hang out, or just simply want to enjoy time being together,
ANYWAY I missed Barren Cry

02:06 PM Mar 11 2012 |

joseph robin

India

firstof all it was a good lesson and i enjoyed .as far i am concerned it is not a familiar matter because i am an indian.here we do not support such relationships.nevertheless boys and girls must enjoy with their boyfriends to the most….....friends please understand their feelins,instincts….

02:49 PM Aug 12 2010 |

1 person likes this

Ahshan

Ahshan

China

it is easy for me to keep track of all my friends if i want ! i still have some iron brothers keeping in touch with each other up to now.

but for couples i do not know anything about them,cus i am still a bachalor ,i do not have enjoyed a couple friendship .

11:07 PM May 18 2010 |

miffoo

miffoo

Slovakia

everyone sometimes want to be only with your love Cool

07:23 PM Jan 03 2009 |

1 person likes this

miffoo

miffoo

Slovakia

nice lesson:)LOL

07:11 PM Jan 03 2009 |

1 person likes this

rayson

rayson

China

couple are always get together … and had better nobody to bother them… coz they want to enjoying themselves. the same to me….also my friends.. it's a normal affair .

07:45 AM Dec 04 2008 |

MengDongchen

China

I always give my best wishes to my friends who started dating with someone,and just go,leave enough room for them.However I still remerber them deeply in heart,and will appaer whenever they need me.

05:43 PM Nov 01 2008 |

kotopaksi

kotopaksi

Latvia

What do couple do when they r not in touch with their friends? funny question.. :D

10:00 PM Oct 30 2008 |

1 person likes this

juama

juama

Panama

it's  hard to have a relatonship and have fun with your friends at the same time

03:31 AM Oct 30 2008 |

1 person likes this

heriking

China

i feel bad if my best friend let alone!

07:34 AM Oct 29 2008 |

johnnymg

johnnymg

Mexico

wow well they talk to fast, and it´s a grate lesson for english students!

01:59 AM Oct 27 2008 |

1 person likes this

iskierkax1991x

Poland

i had similar situation with my friend. She had got a boyfriend so she was spending time only with him. I was lonely and in the end I found a boyfriend too.

06:38 PM Oct 25 2008 |

1 person likes this

fun811028

Taiwan

own friendship is happy thing…

01:38 PM Oct 18 2008 |

1 person likes this

applee_143

applee_143

Philippines

maybe its just automatic… when a friend gets into a relationship, that is expected to happen… since my bestfriend had her boyfriend, i wasnt able to see her since then… its been five months now and take note: my house is just in front of her house… hehehe… anyway, tried to call her but her parents said shes with her boyfriend… WHATEVER… if i will have a boyfriend, i hope i still get in touch with my friends… hahaha

02:19 PM Oct 16 2008 |

1 person likes this

amily_lee

amily_lee

China

i'm always staying with girls who are single too, never experienced a friendship which is ruined by her dating with some guy,

12:33 PM Oct 13 2008 |

1 person likes this

Carmen_bcn

Carmen_bcn

Spain

I have a lot of friends that usually do it and maybe when they broke their relations they come back. In my case i have never been like this, i think when you are in a relationship is important don't give up doing the thinks that you like and hanging up with friends is a very good example. It is always important to have freedom and privacy

07:43 AM Oct 13 2008 |

1 person likes this

lims2000

lims2000

Egypt

may be search about new friend. 

12:31 PM Oct 12 2008 |

1 person likes this

lims2000

lims2000

Egypt

Mat be search about new friend