Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

And Then There Were Two

And Then There Were Two

Date: Jul 04 2008

Themes: News

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Earlier this month, Barack Obama defeated Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary. He will face off against John McCain, the Republican nominee, in November for the presidency.

This years Democratic primary was one of the most hotly contested primaries in history. Clinton and Obama were evenly matched, each with millions of supporters.

Of course, as we’ve mentioned before, our users generally favored Obama, so this is good news for many of you! Marni and Mason think it’s good news as well.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Mason

Mason

Marni:  I’m so excited! I feel hopeful for the first time.

Mason:  It’s pretty crazy, right? I mean, when you look back at it, who’da thunk? So what do you think of it? From my standpoint, his amazing success is kind of tied to how well he tapped into youth and using social media and just different channels to get his message out.

Marni:  Absolutely. I think that’s a huge part of his success, a testament to his insight about where he wants to take this country. It’s like McCain represents the old…

Mason:  Do you put Hillary in that old-school camp? Was that part of her downfall?

Marni:  Partly, actually, yeah. She is older and she’s been more of a career politician and I think that that’s what I admire so much about Obama was how positive he was and he kept coming back to the real issues and what this country is about and we need to heal. She was just like…

Mason:  Yeah, you know a weird…it’s not really a PC insight, but the fact that she…being a woman…we’re so used to the political grandstanding from the male perspective. This very yelling, kind of angry, warlike general speeching and she tried to do that and it doesn’t work.

Marni:  It didn’t work for her.

Mason:  I don’t know if she could have found a more innovative way or if the public would have embraced it if she did.

Marni:  It wasn’t genuine. Obama, I think, truly speaks from the heart and it’s obvious and it’s effective and it’s moving.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni is excited and hopeful now that Obama has won the nomination. She likes his style of campaigning. He focuses on issues like war and healthcare rather attacking his opponents or worrying about dumb stuff like who’s wearing a flag pin and who isn’t.

Mason thinks that Obama made good use social media like English, baby! and Marni thinks that his openness to new technology shows he’s a good leader.

When it comes to her style of speaking and campaigning, Mason thinks Clinton is more like McCain. She uses a more classic approach involving lots of yelling. Mason thinks this approach didn’t suit her, in part because she’s a woman.

Are you glad Obama won the nomination? Do you think he can defeat McCain in November? Why do you think Clinton lost the primary?

Comments

kimnga

kimnga

Viet Nam

I am happy that Obama is the President of the United States.

06:46 AM Aug 14 2014 |

Adriana15

Adriana15

Mexico

I think that if Obama win the presidency nothing will change.

01:57 PM Jul 10 2008 |

wujuan223

China

i don't care who won the election,but i only care the relation of china and american.

in the world ,many people have to face inflation and war,life is the lead.

07:27 AM Jul 09 2008 |

peaceboy

peaceboy

Somalia

money is the bset thing in the life money it's evry thing

01:33 PM Jul 08 2008 |

victor25

victor25

Moldova, Republic Of

Definitely Obama is a better candidate. Republicans showed just an aggressive American policy which had shaken the world.

06:10 AM Jul 08 2008 |

dt.mucu

dt.mucu

Turkey

i think obama ii win the election.He spend lots of money(his own money i know he didnt take money from government.).İ think he engrave to be president of amarica

07:46 PM Jul 07 2008 |

sharp_muslim

Egypt

thanx but, why Obam !!!

04:59 PM Jul 07 2008 |

jeongminjeon

South Korea

Ebaby on Obama’s side.

01:44 AM Jul 07 2008 |

Christoph07

Germany

The reason of Obama's success is simple: he had the better campaign. The voters want a radical change in politic of her president and he gave the democrates most of hope. Congratulation for Obama. 

Now the second run is much more difficulty – because I am not sure that he can mobilizing his voters in economicaly harder times. Mostly the Republicans are winning in this situations. 

By the way – I read a statistic today: 72% of Germans prefer B. Obama.

01:09 PM Jul 06 2008 |

dearpesar

dearpesar

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

good

10:52 AM Jul 06 2008 |

iris20512

iris20512

Taiwan

different types of way to deliever a speech could really change the attitude of the audience

02:16 AM Jul 06 2008 |

SÉRGIO

SÉRGIO

Brazil

I don’t think it will change something!

11:16 AM Jul 05 2008 |

SÉRGIO

SÉRGIO

Brazil

I think it doesn't matter who will be the president of one country now a days, everything is in of interest of several businessman that dictate the rules of the "game". I think the president is just a figure!

11:14 AM Jul 05 2008 |

vakala

Congo, Democratic Republic Of The

Hello !

Thank you for your stopped mails on different subjet especially this last one.

This is fantastic, but I did have access to the audio file that's why I'd like to suggest if you can send me it via my mail box for a better understanding.

Best Regards !!!

03:23 PM Jul 04 2008 |

evaristo melendez

Mexico

I THINK OBAMA IS THE BEST CANDIDATE.

03:10 PM Jul 04 2008 |

sweetmarins

Nigeria

the two guys are pretty great, bt the best candidate will win.

01:24 PM Jul 04 2008 |

Dekler

Dekler

Kazakhstan

somebody…but not BUSH..

08:16 AM Jul 04 2008 |

rameez

rameez

Pakistan

In my opinion OBAMA  is  better  instead of others. because  obama's thinking is to grow and no fight in the world, rather than others are trying to being keeping  US  no 1. and for that they can do wht ever they need  to  do.. There  are  very  much lower  chance to have one more world war if Obama is gonna be President. Its  my  opinion. Thanks

06:02 AM Jul 04 2008 |

United States

It seems that the US president election not only has an effect on America, but also all over the world.

I think Obama is betterIf he won, the race discrimimation will be improved.

05:36 AM Jul 04 2008 |

Jenny Sangurima

Ecuador

Hi, I'd like to practice my English with people from different countries

04:48 AM Jul 04 2008 |

Likes (37):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter