Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Stress Mopping

Stress Mopping English, baby! Video Lesson

Date: Jul 08 2008

Themes: Friend, Soap Opera

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Here’s a surefire way to get your house clean: worrying. How many times have you been faced with a difficult decision, and in order not to think about the topic at hand, you’ll invent any distraction. Suddenly cleaning seems urgent and worthy of your full attention.

Marni has something to figure out. What’s she going to do about this trip she’s supposed to take to Las Vegas? She’s supposed to meet up with the guy she met online, but she was warned not to by his crazy ex-girlfriend. What to do? At least her kitchen floor is looking good. Take a look.

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Beren

Beren

Marni:  God. This floor is so filthy.

Beren:  Whoa, whoa. Are you stressed about something?

Marni:  Yeah.

Beren:  What?

Marni:  I guess I’m stress mopping.

Beren:  What are you stressed about?

Marni:  Everything’s going wrong lately. I had this trip to Vegas planned and now I’m not gonna go…

Beren:  You’re not going to Vegas?

Marni:  No.

Beren:  Why?

Marni:  I didn’t tell you?

Beren:  No.

Marni:  So basically, Kathy69…remember her? John’s ex? She literally comes knocking on my window to warn me about John.

Beren:  Knocked on your window?

Marni:  Literally on my window.

Beren:  You live on the 10th floor.

Marni:  Yeah. She climbed up my fire escape and knocked on my window to warn me about John. She went to Vegas to meet him, apparently…

Beren:  She’s clearly insane though. She climbed up 10 stories and knocked on your window?

Marni:  Well, she wanted to warn me about him. Apparently she was almost traded for poker chips.

Beren:  I don’t…that…Do you know this Kathy69? I don’t believe it.

Marni:  No, but…

Beren:  I think she’s just messing with you.

Marni:  Why would she do that?

Beren:  She likes John. She’s in love with him.

Marni:  Ugh! I’m such an idiot. I don’t know who to believe. Do I believe the woman who climbed up the fire escape or do I believe the online guy who wants me to go to Vegas?

Beren:  Yeah. They could be the same person for all you know, actually.

Marni:  Oh my God. Why? Why is this happening? So what should I do? I have my ticket but I wasn’t gonna go.

Beren:  You should still go to Vegas.

Marni:  You’ll still go with me?

Beren:  Yeah, yeah totally.

Marni:  Alright. I’ll do it.

Beren:  Missed a spot.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Beren finds Marni frantically cleaning and suspects that she’s stressed out. Marni admits that she’s upset because her plan to go to Vegas is falling apart. She tells Beren about how Kathy69 came to visit her.

But Beren points out what Marni should have already thought of: what if Kathy69 is a liar? She did climb the fire escape, after all, and that’s pretty weird. So why assume she’s telling the truth? She’s probably still in love with John and trying to trick Marni.

Ultimately, Marni decides to go to Vegas after all, and Beren will be there to make sure she’s not traded for chips. Do you think that’s a good plan? Who would you believe?

Comments

fdsadsxmi223

Åland Islands

Assignment and essay writing are constructed and it is changing the old and conventional forms of the life. It is imposed essay writing service online and utilized of the research and norms of the life. It is impressive and detailed for the children and students.

05:06 AM Nov 20 2015 |

Ahshan

Ahshan

China

yep! love is messing ! and love is the only one stuff that makes you fall apart oftenly!

the idea souds like great!

11:49 PM May 14 2010 |

miffoo

miffoo

Slovakia

really good!!!! :)

08:45 PM Jan 04 2009 |

nıyazı

Turkmenistan

hello,ı am very very angry because john is a lazzy boy

06:27 PM Dec 09 2008 |

rayson

rayson

China

hard to speak out who is right… john's ex or marni…it's just communication online. who know the develop truly or what's going on… fortunately there are some one along with her..

03:35 AM Dec 05 2008 |

chrysanjur

chrysanjur

China

to go to Vegas,trusting fact is the best way.

06:18 AM Nov 09 2008 |

jihui129

jihui129

China

Of course, Marni should go Vegerst to meet John. I think Kathy is just a little paper tiger whose words made nothing sense. It is ritht Marni to pursue what she wants, after all, there is Beren accompanied with.Cool

08:55 AM Nov 05 2008 |

kotopaksi

kotopaksi

Latvia

Nice situaction.. I liked Beren – very funny character! :)

09:54 PM Oct 30 2008 |

Navire

Navire

China

its hard to imagine!shes really brave.but i dont think its a good way.

03:10 AM Oct 19 2008 |

cindy.cxx

cindy.cxx

China

hi everyone!

anyhow marni should go to vegas to find out why,but it is true being there alone is not safe,better with a good friend like Beren. Kathy 69 is an interesting person, what will be happening next? I 'd like to know more about Kathy 69. 

02:30 AM Oct 17 2008 |

find-me

find-me

Spain

So simple!!!

06:27 PM Oct 16 2008 |

within

within

China

Beren is such a good guys,I am looking forward to have a friend like him.and I think kathy should go to vegas,it's the only way to find the truth.by the way kathy is clearly insane,she climbed up 10 floors just to warn Marni about john.the only reason why she did that is she was still strongly love with john.

"Apparently she was almost traded for poker chips".
In my opinion,it means she is compared to poker chip,but actually,I do not konw it clearly,either.

02:09 PM Oct 16 2008 |

feilier

feilier

China

hehe,what I want to talk that you have talk. 

03:40 AM Oct 14 2008 |

sarahuxiaoli

China

a little hard

03:07 AM Oct 14 2008 |

leetender

leetender

China

good jop,,good deed..

10:42 AM Oct 13 2008 |

琦时

China

I  don't  understang,it's American Enlish

02:04 PM Oct 12 2008 |

sunnywangxiaofeng

China

I also think the woman ,Kathy69,is a brave person ,may  be a little bit crazy .But i also pay my thsympathy to dear Beren.

10:59 AM Oct 10 2008 |

dingwenjuan123

Cocos (Keeling) Islands

i think it ia so crasy!

01:58 PM Oct 07 2008 |

dingwenjuan123

Cocos (Keeling) Islands

it is so  crasy!

01:50 PM Oct 07 2008 |

ahliying

China

climbing up 10th stories, knocking
on Marni’s window,what a weird thing? i figured Kathy69 must be crasy and tell a lie to Marin,she warned Marin about John because she love him still and didn’t want to say bye to him.

02:14 AM Oct 06 2008 |

Likes (87):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast