Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

High School Musical 3

High School Musical 3

Date: Dec 03 2008

Themes: School

Grammar: Phrasal Verbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Disney’s High School Musical movie franchise has made millions of dollars by turning teen growing pains into upbeat song and dance numbers. In High School Musical 3: Senior Year, the kids struggle with new hopes and fears as they get ready to graduate and leave for college.

HSM is incredibly popular in the US, especially with young children. But the squeaky clean characters and songs don’t make Marni want to sing along. Listen to her talk about the movie with Amanda.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Amanda

Amanda

Marni:  You know what I am just so sick of?

Amanda:  What?

Marni:  High School Musical.

Amanda:  What’s the problem? HSM?

Marni:  So many things! It’s just this crazy Disney franchise that has just taken over. And I’m inundated with it all the time, because every child over the age of seven is obsessed with High School Musical.

Amanda:  OK, but didn’t you appreciate having Grease in your life when you were growing up?

Marni:  OK, that is true.

Amanda:  Shouldn’t every generation have its Grease?

Marni:  Good point. Yet, Grease had this certain charm because it was a little down and dirty. There were some pretty risque songs. High School Musical is so squeaky clean. Everyone’s perfect.

Amanda:  I suppose. So you liked the risque aspect…

Marni:  Apparently, yes.

Amanda:  Even though it’s all about high school kids. They’re all supposed to be the same age, going through the same growing pains…

Marni:  But everybody’s kinda perfect and everybody’s playing into these stereotypes.

Amanda:  I don’t know. I’d have to say you missed out. We checked it out last week.

Marni:  Yeah?

Amanda:  Almost every show was sold out but one.

Marni:  Highest grossing weekend ever for a musical.

Amanda:  Mm-hm.

Marni:  Way to go.

Amanda:  I don’t know, they can’t have an HSM4 because

they’re going to be off in college. What are they gonna call it now, hm?

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Phrasal Verbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni has heard way too much about the new High School Musical movie. All the kids at the school where she teaches can’t stop talking about it.

Amanda doesn’t understand why Marni dislikes this movie. She reminds
her about Grease, another musical about high school students that was extremely popular in the ‘70s and ‘80s. Marni liked Grease because the characters in it weren’t so squeaky clean. They were rebellious teenagers and the movie dealt with some mature themes, like teen pregnancy and gangs.

What was your high school experience like? Could you relate more to
the squeaky clean characters in HSM or the rebellious
teenagers in Grease?

Comments

DominikLi

DominikLi

China

How wonderful the movie is…Well,I always believe that high school should be as great as what the movie shows.Full of energy,full of hopes,and full of dreams,students lead a happy life whith doing what they want to do,and never waste their youth:)

05:47 AM Jan 20 2013 |

Avva

Avva

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i just can say wonderful

01:23 PM Jan 02 2013 |

princessanika

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i love it ilove singer musicetc…

06:21 PM Jul 01 2012 |

ms.sora

ms.sora

Philippines

your movie is great very great. i love the cast of your movie… Laughing so i hope there will be another movie in the future,,,,,, and also i really love the music and the dance also….. :) see u…..

01:09 PM Jan 25 2010 |

mickee85

mickee85

Philippines

The movie is great and the casts are talented and good looking teenage people but I'm not a huge fan of HSM franchise. It doesn't work to me.

04:17 AM Oct 02 2009 |

albani33_7

albani33_7

Albania

HSM is perfect.Marni and Amanda are so wrong.Laughing

05:40 PM Sep 25 2009 |

saud99

saud99

Saudi Arabia

wow . am watch all movies desniy chanel and i would work with chanel !!!!

04:53 AM Aug 11 2009 |

sami1993

Algeria

goooood

11:00 AM Mar 20 2009 |

Aus_LT

Aus_LT

Lithuania

I like H.s.m. film.Smile

05:26 PM Mar 04 2009 |

lalobrown

lalobrown

Dominican Republic

i would say that my High school Experience was Gr8,i really enjoy those years it takes me back to those days when i see any high school movie.
I would say that i experience a little of both world, a little bit of G and a Lil´bit of HSM.Cool

04:42 PM Mar 04 2009 |

peguy

Haiti

I love it !!!

03:35 AM Feb 28 2009 |

-gIt@-

-gIt@-

Indonesia

i love the song and dance in this movie ! but, the story is not really good at all… :(

11:33 AM Jan 19 2009 |

1 person likes this

din a din

din a din

Indonesia

I love this movie.. o
troy is soo cooL..! :D

05:09 AM Dec 14 2008 |

prary

prary

Jamaica

i love HSM it a great picture. its fun, i love the songs, music and the characters they reminds me of my friends when i was in high school.

09:17 PM Dec 08 2008 |

Eliza_8

Eliza_8

Colombia

I don´t like this musical, becouse the film is irreal.

06:59 PM Dec 07 2008 |

jadechien

China

i haven't seen that film,but if that moive described the pure high school life, i think it is much better and more varied and graceful than my high school life. in china, each students should obey the rules that school made and the teacher asked. if u r rebel against it, u will be the worest student and noted in all the campus. but now, u will find almost all the bad guys have a success life, while the best guys turn out to be very ordinary people. sometimes, my frd asks me what type student we should be and what will be if we were bad guys at that time. i don't konw the answer and nobody knows that. why they success, may be due to their minds, they have their thoughts, and not always obay all  the rules. so, it is the time for china to think abt our contriy's study format.

04:18 AM Dec 07 2008 |

Yasminne_15

Venezuela

Some people is jealous of girls and guys like them.. Smile

I don't know why ?? They are people, like us.. Just, with more luck, or maybe, with a bit of luck.. They are amazing!! =D I love Zac Efron!!

02:26 AM Dec 07 2008 |

Ruilong

Ruilong

China

I always thought those guys with a rebellious school life are so wonderful,because i have never experienced such life,but im dreaming i can make it some day,anyway,it has passed,i have no chance to do that,my hight school life is so boring with just reading ,sleeping in the classroom and in my dormitory,and talking with roommates,or go out for playing computer,i dreame i can be a rebellious guy for even one time,and leave my abodient life away!

10:10 AM Dec 05 2008 |

1 person likes this

guobingyou

guobingyou

China

I love this movie all the time,especially the music and dance.

02:33 AM Dec 05 2008 |

liushuixun

China

My high school was kile mixed the HSM and Grease.Sometimes my high school life was squeaky clean but more often than not a little bit Grease. I liked to fight with my mother and sometiomes I made her very upset or angry with me.But when i saw she was in pain, i felt sorry for her. Actually in my deep heart i did not mean to hurt her.

12:06 AM Dec 05 2008 |

Likes (41):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast