Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

geek

geek

Date: Dec 04 2008

Themes: Pop Culture

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

“I’m becoming a geek bit by bit. If you don’t know what you’re talking about with these comic book fans, you’re in trouble.”

- Actor Luke Goss on how being in Blade and Hellboy II has taught him more about comic books than he ever wanted to know.

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

nerd; person who knows a lot about technology or other topics

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

The actor Luke Goss doesn’t look like a typical geek. He’s tan and muscular. He doesn’t wear glasses or Star Wars t-shirts. But his roles in Hellboy II and Blade, which were both based on popular comic books, have introduced him to the geeky world of comics. Who knows…a pocket protector might be next.

The word geek is similar in meaning to a nerd or dork. Basically, it’s someone who isn’t cool or popular. Being geeky also usually means having an intense interest in things like computers, video games, science fiction novels, math and comic books. But having one of these traditional nerd-hobbies isn’t the only way to get yourself labeled a geek. In fact, if you’re obsessed with any subject that most people don’t know a lot about, you might be considered a geek. People who are totally crazy about films are sometimes called movie geeks, for example, while serious music fans might be called music geeks. You can also be a history geek, a literature geek, a drama geek, a science geek…So basically, if you know a lot about anything, you’re at risk of being a geek.

But don’t panic! Geeks may not be traditionally attractive or popular, but they’re generally considered to be smart, interesting, and unconventional. And in the past 10 years or so, it’s actually become a lot cooler to be a geek. Bands like Weezer and movies like Napoleon Dynamite have helped make the geek look cool, which has turned geeky accessories like big glasses and tight pants into fashion trends. So if you think that you might be a geek, it’s okay. These days, it’s hip to be square.

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“My brother is a total sports geek. He watches at least one game every day.
My sister is a computer geek. She spends more time with her computer than with other human beings.
The geeks at the gaming conference had a lot of fun with video games.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

VOLTS someone with limited social skills who likes to tinker with scientific or high-tech projects.
by VOLTSSuper Member!
Eydo The word geek is a slang term, noting individuals as "a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, especially one who is perceived to be overly intellectual".
by Eydo
A person who is crazy about comic books, or animations. In Japanese, geek is called "Otaku".
by Yuki P'UNK
Shirin2U A person who is nerd or gross
by Shirin2U
Dani J. a peculiar or otherwise odd person, especially one who is perceived to be overly obsessed with one or more things including those of intellectuality, electronics, gaming, etc
by Dani J.
Sezai a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, esp. one who is perceived to be overly intellectual.
by Sezai
sunny4711 Well it means beeing something like an expert about a sertain subject and even more being a freak.
by sunny4711
Fofi A person who is accomplished in design comic books,at this time or (in generally) in scientific or technical pursuits.
by Fofi
shadow-man odd person,dorky sth like that
by shadow-man
lalobrown A person with a lot of knowlegdement about something
by lalobrown
centoir Geek means clever,wise, and intelligent.
by centoir

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Ruilong

Ruilong

China

i learnt it!

01:19 PM Dec 09 2008 |

liushuixun

China

I think Geek is a kinda nature word. It can means someone who is unconventional, attractive, interesting or someone who is indulge in something like computer games.

11:25 PM Dec 07 2008 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Even though I don’t know a lot on the things!...I never considered myself a geek for nothing! hehe

06:56 PM Dec 05 2008 |

guobingyou

guobingyou

China

so i am a geek.
haha…

02:22 AM Dec 05 2008 |

johny_snooch

United States

Well…geeks get the money at least.

03:18 PM Dec 04 2008 |

bobcat