Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Bachelor Parties

Bachelor Parties

Date: Jan 09 2009

Themes: Friend

Grammar: Comparatives and Superlatives

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

When two people marry, they celebrate their love and commitment to each other. But before the wedding, it’s common for the groom-to-be to have a big, wild party with his buddies.

The tradition of the bachelor party began over 2,000 years ago in ancient Greece, where soldiers had special meals with their friends on the night before they got married. These days, bachelor parties often involve getting wasted, going to strip clubs, and doing all the other crazy things that are supposed to stop after marriage. Listen to Marni and Jason discuss their feelings about bachelor parties.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Jason

Jason

Marni:  I was out at the bar on Saturday night, and my absolute worst nightmare, a parade of completely wasted bachelors…

Jason:  Oh, wow.

Marni:  ...at a bachelor party. Ugh, so annoying.

Jason:  I love running into bachelorette parties. They always ask me to do funny things, like they ask for one of my chest hairs for their scavenger hunt, and things like that.

Marni:  I’ve never seen a bachelor party on a scavenger hunt. They’re just all about…

Jason:  I think they’re hunting something else.

Marni:  Yeah, exactly. It’s all about the strip clubs, and getting away from the ball and chain, and your big last night of freedom. God, it’s just so cliche.

Jason:  But it’s a rite of passage, right? Your buddies have to see you off, or whatever.

Marni:  Oh, yeah. I guess it’s a right of passage, if you’re just totally in denial that you’re committing to someone, and you feel like you have the right to have this last debaucherous evening.

Jason:  Yeah, I wonder how often the debaucherous evenings go completely overboard, you know?

Marni:  I’ve heard far too many stories of marriages canceled…

Jason:  Woah!

Marni:  But anyhow, I just think that bachelor parties…They’re just ridiculous.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Comparatives and Superlatives" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni’s Saturday night was ruined by a bunch of super-drunk guys having a bachelor party. Jason says he likes bachelorette parties because the women always involve him in fun games. But bachelor parties are less innocent. Usually, the guys at a bachelor party just want to get drunk and try to pick up women.

Jason thinks bachelor parties are OK, because they celebrate an important event in a man’s life. But Marni has heard about a lot of bachelor parties going overboard. If the groom-to-be acts too crazy or betrays his future wife, it can ruin the wedding or even end the relationship.

In your country, what do people do the night before their wedding? Do you think it’s a good idea to have one last, crazy party before getting married?

Comments

liliyazl

liliyazl

China

so i know its history

05:23 AM Oct 09 2013 |

mangojoy

mangojoy

United States

It is fine to me if people want to do it. I don’t feel it is necessary for me. Simple is just fine to me. Maybe there is some underlying benefit or purpose in it that I’m not seeing.

04:26 AM Nov 23 2011 |

CatcheR

CatcheR

Iceland

It’s totally freaking the bride, better not!!

12:03 PM Nov 22 2011 |

obianuri

Cote D'Ivoire

i am your friend ok

10:42 AM Nov 22 2011 |

trailo_hathanh

Viet Nam

In my country Vietnam, the groom will have a party with his close friends before the wedding. The party will be hold in the house or restaurant. People maybe wasted but not the groom. And they do not do anything crazy, just to prepare to ball and chain after marriage. 

But I think, bachelorette party maybe good if after the marriage, the man can do fabulous his duty to support his small family.

07:18 AM Oct 01 2010 |

1 person likes this

n.mahdizadeh

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i think it's normal for some body who live in some country that it's a tradition,and really it likes a game!just for amument

06:56 AM Apr 27 2010 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

:S sounds stupid

03:21 PM Feb 19 2010 |

clemmie

clemmie

Canada

Bachelor party Ladies' party are just about culture and entertainment. In my culture background, it is very ridiculous. For whatever purpose man and women involving into such party, the real meaning of this tradition activity has been lost.

09:06 PM Mar 16 2009 |

1 person likes this

betharios

betharios

Germany

It’s not a good idea

07:35 AM Jan 16 2009 |

peter wei

peter wei

China

I agree with Kyle A ,

great minds think alike

yes,it's a test ,passed then get married,or  you need more time to think about it.

04:28 AM Jan 16 2009 |

betharios

betharios

Germany

In my country people don't spend the night with something like debaucherous. We don't have bachelor parties here or somekind like that…. I think it's not a good idea. If they think that they have to do bachelor party before getting married, I may ask a question what is the meaning of a marriage for them!?

03:15 AM Jan 16 2009 |

brownies

brownies

Thailand

Innocent Hunting !!!!

12:47 PM Jan 15 2009 |

ola3

ola3Super Member!

Ukraine

I think it's fun, fish were a boy to experience Laughing

04:06 AM Jan 15 2009 |

hooshmand

hooshmand

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I think it's not a nice tradition as we don't have it in our culture .

06:58 AM Jan 14 2009 |

arifsrg

arifsrg

Indonesia

I agree with you dodo77Cool

03:52 AM Jan 13 2009 |

arifsrg

arifsrg

Indonesia

Bachelor party seems not too bad for me, as long as not so overboard. Just inviting friends of the bride n the groom for eating party or dancing. No strip club. In this moment actually we should pray for our then family's happiness. Hence inviting friends is only to ask their prayers for us.   

03:42 AM Jan 13 2009 |

DaMnWoRlD

DaMnWoRlD

Taiwan

Maybe Bachelor parties are for those who repress theselves too much in daily life, or how could a Bachelor party release their desire, hahaha…anyway it must be a cool party(if it's not too dirty). :DCool

08:54 AM Jan 12 2009 |

Garivers

Colombia

i never was in a party like that but i think that they can be so dangerous for us, ofr our minds.

12:56 AM Jan 12 2009 |

pedrohr

pedrohr

Brazil

This kind of parties is good only when both man and woman enjoy of your own bachelor(ette)party!!

11:24 PM Jan 11 2009 |

dodo77

Saudi Arabia

That is a stupid and silly behavior I ever seen!!

What a ridiculous culture that makes groom to behave like a little child !!

As for my country, we do not have such a crazy parties like bachelor party before getting married !!. actually , whoever does these crazy things  , it reflects his limited thinking ( brain  )and he does not deserve to have a manliness  features and being as a father in the future !!.

08:28 PM Jan 11 2009 |

Likes (57):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast