Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

freeze your butt off

freeze your butt off English, baby! Video Lesson

Date: Apr 09 2009

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

“I’m freezing my butt off for a good cause!”

- Jason on attending an extreme fund raiser in a very cold river.

2. Video - Watch the video before learning the definition.

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

to be really cold, so cold you can’t feel your butt

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Everyone knows that when you get really cold, you start to lose feeling in different parts of your body. First your fingers and toes get numb. Your ears and nose get cold too if they’re not covered. But your butt? That’s a pretty big part of your body. You have to be really cold for your butt to get numb. That’s why any time you’re really cold, you can say, “I’m freezing my butt off!”

But, let’s see…what could actually make you so cold you can’t feel your butt? What could cause you to really freeze your butt off? How about jumping into a freezing cold river in the winter?

Well, that’s what Jason did just to demonstrate the meaning of freeze your butt off, and to raise money for the Special Olympics. And he wasn’t alone. Hundreds of other people froze their butts off with him, raising thousands of dollars for the charity and creating our first edition of Extreme English, baby!

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“It’s snowing out there. You must be freezing your butt off. Come inside and get warm.”

“I’ve been freezing my butt off in line for this movie for an hour. I hope it’s really good!”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

VOLTS to feel a cold temperature in the body
by VOLTSSuper Member!
Vivian83 SHEEVER AND COLD
by Vivian83
vikiD u r cold n ur butt is too!
by vikiD
blue_bear be cold
by blue_bear
feel really cold
by silverwicce
i think he feel cold maybe he
by vinacaphe
very cold
by EmmaA

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

julito

julito

Argentina

This is not for me – to freeze my butt off ,  in my country the  Atlantic Ocean is so cold that  I have to think twice to get in  the water   .brrrrrrrrrrr….......besides the extreme cold water not only freeze our butt off also shrinks …......   Cry

12:26 PM Mar 16 2012 |

streamcherry

China

wow….....It looks so cold!!!Embarassed

11:05 AM Mar 16 2012 |

medcex

medcex

Turkey

I did it when i was 16, in high school. we drank so much with my classmates and then jump to the sea on february. It was really cold. so I think was freezed my butt off :)

07:38 PM Nov 22 2011 |

nickyfat

China

Wow, this is crazy, but I must say this is pretty normal in China, especially in the Northerneast China, I am from there, btw, many people, mostly in their 60s and evern older, like this, they're crazy about this. It seems extreme to some people, like me, but to them, it is a kind of way to relax and to make themselves healthy. Winter swim is ummm… good for your health, but I would say no if anyone asks me to join them, 'cuz I don't want to freeze my butt off! That's important! LOL~~

And there's something else I wanna say to everyone in eBaby, I must say you guys are amazing, yeah, I can tell from this video. It is extreme to do something like that! OMG, you guys rock! And thanks for the defination of Freeze Your Butt Off! And poor Jason, you have to use your body to help us understand what the meaning of the this COLD phrase, thanks a lot, everyone, again!

11:06 PM Oct 09 2009 |

Mira_Memoir

Egypt

That was really EXTREME! :D

07:27 PM May 21 2009 |

duminhsang

duminhsang

Viet Nam

Laughing There is very funny. I like swimming but not in winter. I hate winter because it's very cold.

03:48 PM May 16 2009 |

pound19

pound19

Germany

Laughing

10:54 AM May 04 2009 |

galliani

galliani

Turkey

why has he a helmet?it is very unnecessaryLaughing

10:43 AM May 04 2009 |

saddam_zedan

Yemen

i haven't got my butt off yet,but i think it has something is fanny.

freeze your butt off  to be numb.

hhhhhhhhhhh

11:22 PM May 03 2009 |

fabrizia

Brazil

loved it… kkk

06:28 PM Apr 20 2009 |

galliani

galliani

Turkey

excelent

11:02 AM Apr 20 2009 |

siliababy

Bulgaria

regards from bulgaria

07:35 PM Apr 19 2009 |

khinesu

khinesu

Myanmar

Smile

05:26 AM Apr 18 2009 |

daankii

China

天哪!

01:32 AM Apr 18 2009 |

ariamo

France

In France we have the same kind of sentence, with the same meaning. We are freezing our butt off, in winter, when we are waiting outside for someone or something to happen.

07:37 AM Apr 17 2009 |

_sirine_

Turkey

hi ı came to first

just ı want to say this:)

01:36 PM Apr 15 2009 |

yuliskaromana

Russian Federation

Embarassedwelocome in  russia  my  friendsEmbarassed

11:42 AM Apr 15 2009 |

shimaa mohammed

Egypt

In Egypt climatic condition is in winter warm and rains and in summer hot and dry so in Egypt I like winter.

04:25 AM Apr 15 2009 |

amany7

amany7

Saudi Arabia

another slang plzzzz :P

08:07 PM Apr 14 2009 |

eliem

Dominican Republic

hi my name is eliem and live in dominican republic. I feel so glad to share with all people.

07:56 PM Apr 14 2009 |

Likes (34):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast