Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Teachers

Teachers

Date: May 22 2009

Themes: School

Grammar: Count and Noncount Nouns

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Remember that awesome history teacher you had in high school, the one who told all the funny stories and inspired you to read everything you could find about the Battle of Waterloo and the last tsar of Russia? Or how about that awful math teacher who smelled weird and always gave you poor grades?

Good or bad, teachers often make a strong impression on us. But what makes a good teacher, and what makes a bad teacher? Listen to the dialog and find out what Devan and Marni think.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Devan

Devan

Marni:  So, what do you think makes a good or a bad teacher? You’re in school right now, right?

Devan:  Yes. And I have good and bad teachers right now.

Marni:  OK.

Devan:  Well, I think what makes a good teacher or a good professor is if they really care about what they’re teaching. Like there’s some teachers that just seem completely detached.

Marni:  Right.

Devan:  Teachers that just assign a lot of busy-work I feel like that’s a cop-out sort of, you know?

Marni:  Yeah, absolutely. Well, I’m probably a little biased since I am a teacher. But I’m at the elementary level so it’s a little different. But I agree, I don’t like to assign busy-work because it doesn’t inspire kids to learn. But I look to someone…you know, I try to be a mentor to kids and really get them excited about learning. I don’t…I don’t want to be too strict, but…

Devan:  Would you say you’re a pretty easy-going teacher?

Marni:  I am in some respects but I definitely have my limitations and I’m very firm. I like to say firm but fair. But I think that I had a lot of bad teachers in my growing up, so I really strive to be a good teacher.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Count and Noncount Nouns" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Devan is in college right now and has both good and bad professors. For her, a good teacher is someone who is passionate about their subject and doesn’t assign a lot of meaningless work.

Marni agrees with Devan’s ideas about what makes a good teacher. She teaches elementary school children and tries to be firm but not too strict. She thinks it’s important to inspire students and be a mentor to them.

Want more about teachers? Read Devan or Marni’s blog posts about this conversation. Or check out the Ebaby! teacher blog.
What do you think makes a good teacher or a bad teacher? Can you describe the best teacher you ever had?

Comments

sireeshasiree77

India

Good teacher : She/He always makes their students to learn new things and make them to learn their subject easy going way.

Bad teacher: It depends on their hands.

12:01 PM Mar 18 2014 |

iamteacherabi

Philippines

I have been an english tutor to koreans for 6 years now and I agree that students need a FUNNY class. They’ve been so busy all day studying their lessons in school. Learning should be enjoyable to motivate students to study more. :)

03:41 PM Jan 03 2014 |

ghasedak57

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I would rather speak English

11:02 AM Jan 02 2014 |

Avva

Avva

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

they are stingy about scorres

01:24 PM Jan 02 2013 |

TAMER0988

TAMER0988

Iraq

I thing a teacher must understand his studient  , He must  let the lesson very easy , funny ,

& cool . He must love his studient like a son , tell him that he is a second father , He must

listening with interesting …

When the studient love the teacher , he loves the lesson …

11:44 AM Oct 31 2011 |

Talia Do

Talia Do

Viet Nam

Things that make a good teacher should consist of:

Mutual respect: being nice to the students, trying to get to know the students individually, being timely.

Making classes interesting: give the students choices as what they would like to do and how they want to do it, trying to come up with other ways of presenting thing, letting students ask for help themselves by not being eager to offer the help, not being the only one talking by encouraging discussions and question raising, allowing drinks and foods as long as the class stays clean, providing times for students to do their homework at class so that they can have in time explanations. 

I myself had English classes with children from 5 to 15 years old. By applying above rules, I found them really helpful and absolutely correct.

05:02 PM Apr 28 2011 |

imfreelance

Thailand

Teacher is very important to student.

I hate mathematics because it's very hard for me and especially my math teacher is very unfriendly. She's too strict. Sometime I don't want go to school because I afraid teacher. :( That's when i was in high school.

When i'm in College, I have a nice English teacher. She'very friendly and try to make English fun and easy for the Asia students. I love her so much and I feel good to study English also. :)

05:16 AM Apr 23 2011 |

sassie

sassie

Philippines

Good teachers are effective teachers =p.. because  there's a commitment, affection and passion in their profession

They are the one who inspire, encourage and motivate the students.

If  teachers don't want to appear  strict to their students and want to gain respect then, from the very outset they should establish a rules and boundaries what is acceptable and non acceptable in the school domain ヾ(〃°▽°)ノ fufufu =)

05:03 PM Apr 22 2011 |

Bojana

Bojana

Serbia and Montenegro

I think that a good teacher has to be creative, and to make the class interesing, like give them some pair work activities, as well as group activities…. I'm in high school now, and my favourite is my maths teacher. There are times when we work hard, but there is also time to have some fun, relax and laugh a little bit. Usually he's the one who makes funny jokes, but also the children are very relaxed in his class, so that helps in learning better, too, I think… :)

03:01 PM Apr 22 2011 |

Peter14

Costa Rica

I remember my English class at college.

Count nouns are like something you can count one by one.

I have three books.

She has a nice  car.

They have  three nice houses.

non count nouns are like: 

Too much rain.

I put too much sugar in my coffee.

She talks to much.

11:48 PM Oct 08 2010 |

ciccleo

ciccleo

Brazil

I think good teachers are the ones who try to make you learn something using all the tools he or she can, and when they don't have more resources they create more and see each student as a unique person who needs special attetion. I had lots of teachers like that, and they used to teach us about the life too, not only subject stuffs. I try to be similar to them, and work with my students the same way my best teachers did. 

02:28 AM May 23 2010 |

1 person likes this

samantha410

Colombia

Well i never wanted to be a teacher, but here i am. but despite of this, i like to teach and give to my students good elements, besides im very perfectionist so i want they'll become great musicians in the future.

07:52 PM Feb 22 2010 |

nevardo

nevardo

Colombia

I think that teaching is a profession not only as knowledge of subjects  but as really insterest to help people that need to learn. They must have talents as a teachers but patiente, mercy, creative and so on; both characterists must qualify the teachers. 

04:16 PM Jun 08 2009 |

leydyta

Peru

I thikn teachers will always cause a big imppresion on us. When i have children i'll tell my children about the teachers who i most liked. Just like my mother does hehe Good teachers can make history in ur life.

04:18 AM Jun 06 2009 |

kiome

kiome

China

i always have bad teachers,and I do not like the way they teaching,I prefer to study by myself .

05:54 AM May 30 2009 |

sachin9sharma

India

Hi souhila

i can help u

http://desktopwallpapersandpictures.blogspot.com

04:20 AM May 30 2009 |

Josè Manuel Cervantes G.

Mexico

Sometimes, or almost all the time I have had good teacher, but I remember the most those who were so estrict with hte subject, because I learned a lot that way.

Thanks all the teachers around the world.

10:13 PM May 29 2009 |

*souhila*

*souhila*

Algeria

I whant some exercises to practise my english

10:28 AM May 29 2009 |

fadel san

fadel san

Saudi Arabia

I agree with them and I think the teachers who make students love or hate subject or courses.Like me i was hate math because all teachers how thought me math horrible but I change my look to math in college because one teacher. 

03:10 PM May 28 2009 |

tiquyen

Viet Nam

i think that i will see myself before making remark a teacher good or bad.

02:06 PM May 28 2009 |

Likes (53):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast