Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Dave Matthews Band

Dave Matthews Band

Date: Aug 03 2009

Themes: Alternative, Music

Grammar: Simple Past Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Jam bands like Dave Matthews Band are known for playing extended, improvised versions of their songs at their live concerts. They attract a devoted following to their shows. Some fans even follow their favorite jam band across the country. They travel from city to city with the band, forming a tight-knit community.

Dave Matthews Band first became popular in the mid-nineties. Jason thinks they’ve since fallen off the map. He might be surprised to know that the band is still touring. In fact, it has toured every summer since 1998. Listen to Jason and Dale talk about whether or not Dave’s still got it.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jason

Jason

Dale

Dale

Jason:  I feel like Dave Matthews Band got this reputation for being really lame at some point. Like, when they first came out it was this really cool, talented band. And I’m not sure what changed, but somehow…They’re like the butt of a lot of jokes these days, don’t you think?

Dale:  I don’t think you’ve kept up to the times.

Jason:  Oh yeah? What’s new with Dave Matthews Band?

Dale:  Well, Dave Matthews Band, from what I’ve known from many of my friends, create shows very similar to Woodstock in different parts of the United States.

Jason:  How’s it similar to Woodstock?

Dale:  Well, everybody camps out, they have opening acts, and for like a weekend everybody’s there partying it up.

Jason:  Wow.

Dale:  And so I started realizing…going OK, what’s all special about Dave Matthews? It’s just a mix of jazz with current, I think, in my opinion. And it’s created that buzz.

Jason:  But isn’t his stuff…like his vocal style is kind of goofy sometimes, his “shick-a-boop-ah” and stuff like that.

Dale:  Very goofy. I think that it’s exactly as you said. That’s more of a jazzy feel. And I think that grabs more of the older type of crowd, and it still grabs the young one. It’s just amazing to hear the stories that everyone keeps telling me on how much they party at these things.

Jason:  Well, maybe I’ll check out one of their live albums.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Simple Past Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Jason thinks that Dave Matthews Band doesn’t have a cool image anymore. Dale disagrees. He thinks that Dave Matthews Band is still popular among both younger and older people.

Dale has lots of friends who have been to Dave Matthews Band concerts. He compares them to Woodstock, a famous music festival that took place in the sixties. He says that when people go to Dave Matthews Band concerts, they party a lot. Sometimes the concerts include other bands and last a long time, and people bring tents and camp out at them.

Jason and Dale agree that Dave Matthews’ musical style is similar to jazz, but more contemporary. The way he sings might sound silly sometimes, but it is influenced by jazz scat singing.

Jason thinks he might like Dave Matthews Band better if he heard them play live. Do you prefer seeing bands in concert or listening to them at home? Do you think it would have been fun to go to Woodstock?

Comments

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

I like concerts as I like to listening to my favorate band at home…I really like anyway ;)

12:02 AM Aug 06 2009 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

I love concerts! The last one that I went was the Iron Maiden concert here in Brasilia,It was simply pretty cool!The last time I watch then in a concert was in 2001 in Rock n Rio 3…Imagine you are in front of the band that you love,yes,is amazing ;)

11:59 PM Aug 05 2009 |

enricobe

enricobe

Italy

I know Dave Matthews since his first album. One of the most known song here in Italy is Satellite, I have to admit is a very beautiful song. So emotional well performed even in live version. For me one of the best album is Everyday. Is like some kind of album where every song are better than other. I have listen so many times before it started to bore me. Unfortunately Dave Matthes had a concert in Lucca, here in Italy, is far from Rome where I live. I have missed a great occasion to appreciate his performance live on stage.
I hope to have a second chance to see him perhaps in Rome.

12:07 PM Aug 05 2009 |

meteorareanimation

Egypt

Bands don't come here unfortunately but i'd really love to go to a concert and see how is it like ^^

02:34 PM Aug 04 2009 |

tiagon85

Brazil

I enjoy that band, they have a different way to play and make songs, they´re really nice!! But I don´t remember when the last show in Brazil happened, maybe it´s time to do another show here.

02:51 AM Aug 04 2009 |

Ca_Brazil

Ca_Brazil

Brazil

i like to listen to bands at home but it would be funnier to listen to them live in a concert. i dont  think it would have been fun to go to woodstook, since i heard some not too good stuffs that happened there, though many legendary artists played there.

12:29 AM Aug 04 2009 |

Lilo0o

Lilo0o

Egypt

hi denny, actually in Egypt the concerts are not expensive, and anyone can buy the ticket, and i went to many concerts and i had so much fun..hope u can try it soon :)

08:19 PM Aug 03 2009 |

Mahatma

Mexico

go to next link, it´s a nice video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew8hmVIGKcM&feature=fvste1

03:10 PM Aug 03 2009 |

Mahatma

Mexico

I think it´s a great band!, but i don`t know all their songs, just now i´m looking for this band in youtube ;)

03:06 PM Aug 03 2009 |

larrychen

larrychen

China

frankly i never listened to any concert, what a pity

so i would like to listen to songs in a live concert~

02:19 PM Aug 03 2009 |

rosendo

rosendo

Mexico

i havent heard Dave Matthews Band Frown

02:13 PM Aug 03 2009 |

sofree

sofree

China

Basically I prefer listening to bands at home, because I listen to pop or folks mostly. But I would want to see Linkin Park or Matchbox 20 in concert, for songs with strong rhythm and heavy beat, like Rock, listening to live has a lot more fun.

Yes, I would love to go to Woodstock, isn't it a little bit too late? :p

Just downloaded  Dave Matthews Band – Hello Again   Not bad!

01:39 PM Aug 03 2009 |

judithjudith

China

No matter how good the band can not be separated from that point with them is inseparable from the efforts

05:53 AM Aug 03 2009 |

judithjudith

China

No matter how good the band can not be separated from that point with them is inseparable from the efforts

05:50 AM Aug 03 2009 |

im_a_nucleus

Philippines

During my teens, I dig their old song"crash into me", it's laid back and you just never get tired of listening to it. 

05:19 AM Aug 03 2009 |

Yumum

Yumum

China

Only buy the ticket once for a music drama<MAMAMIYA>. Amazing! But also expensive. I think i won't pay for such "amazing" for a long time.

02:39 AM Aug 03 2009 |

Denny500

Denny500

Australia

Lilo0o, do you think concerts are too expensive? I can only afford searching youtube.

02:20 AM Aug 03 2009 |

Denny500

Denny500

Australia

Yes you are right.We are not only learning language but also culture and other events all over the world.

02:19 AM Aug 03 2009 |

Lilo0o

Lilo0o

Egypt

i like seeing bands in concert,i think it will be more fun

01:26 AM Aug 03 2009 |

Ray81191837

China

the band is cool…It's so many great band that I don't knowSurprised

12:33 AM Aug 03 2009 |

Likes (10):

See all >