Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Christmas with Family

Christmas with Family

Date: Jan 01 2002

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

In the U.S., Christmas is usually spent with the family. The days leading up to Christmas can be hectic, so it’s nice to stop and relax with the people you love.
This year Joe and Nedra both spent time with their family. Listen to the conversation below to see what happened!

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Joe

Joe

Nedra

Nedra

Joe:  Nedra, what did you do for Christmas break?

Nedra:  I went down to my boyfriend’s family in, uh, Modesto, California, and it wasn’t very 2230 or warm like I had thought it would be. How about you, Joe?

Joe:  Um, I didn’t really do that much. I just went to my mom’s house and hung out with my mom, my grandma and my brother. But that’s pretty interesting you were in California and it wasn’t that sunny ‘cause usually California is supposed to be really sunny.

Nedra:  Yeah, but we had a good time, you know. I felt like I was part of the family and um, we did some traditional Christmas things and had a big dinner on that night. Things like that.

Joe:  That’s cool. I’m glad you had a good time.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

As you can tell by Joe and Nedra’s conversation, Christmas isn’t the most exciting holiday. In fact, it’s very low-key. Most people relax with their families and eat some good food.
What is the biggest family holiday in your country? Does your family have any traditions when they all come together? Please tell us about it at the Life Goes On message Board!
Take it easy and have a great New Year!
Your American Friend,
John

Comments

samine_sh

samine_sh

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

the biggest family holiday is new year holiday tht is called Norooz (new day) as a2020 said.

actually this is quit common for most of iraninan families to have family reunion not just for new year, for  many reasons,  mother day, father day, birthdays …we just like it even if we will be busy .whenever w are together we ususally have a big meal, sweet ,nuts, ..it s really great,usually it s too much fun. we have so many traditions for begining of the new year, family come together and celebrate the new year,

acctualy it is not boring as many families take trip during the holidays or visit the relatives.

it’s fun.

07:35 PM Aug 23 2014 |

Likes (4):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: