Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Checking Account

Checking Account

Date: Jan 04 2002

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Hi Everyone!
Many of our friends have written and asked us questions about opening a checking account. In this lesson, John calls to find out what he needs to bring to the bank if he wants to open a new account.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

John

John

Banker

Telephone Operator: Thank you for choosing US Bank. This is Carla, how can I help you?

John:  Yes, I’d like to set up a checking account. Do I have to do that there?

Telephone Operator: Well, let me actually give it to our banker. I think you can maybe do it on the phone, I’m not sure. Just a second.

Banker:  Thank you for holding, this is Andrew.

John:  Yeah, I had a couple of questions about setting up a checking account.

Banker:  OK.

John:  Um, if I come in there today, what kind of information will I need to bring?

Banker:  Um, we’ll need the address verification, employment verification, um, and, uh, identification.

John:  Okay. And what if I’m not a U.S. citizen?

Banker:  That’s fine. Do you have, uh, a social security number or a tax I.D. number?

John:  I’m a student here.

Banker:  OK.

John:  That’ll be fine?

Banker:  Um, we’ll need a tax I.D. number or a social security number and, um, if you have a state I.D. card or a driver’s license, um, we take Mexican consulate I.D., we take, um, passports.

John:  OK.

Banker:  We take a lot of different, um, I.D.’s that you can use. Um, and for address verification all you need is uh, a copy of, uh, uh, a phone bill or like a utility bill or, uh, credit card bill… something like that to verify your address. And then, um, for your, to verify your employment you could just bring a student I.D. card.

John:  OK.

Banker:  Yeah, which school do you go to?

John:  Uh, P.S.U.

Banker:  Okay, yeah just… Yeah, just bring a P.S.U. I.D. card.

John:  Okay. Alright, well, I’ll come up there later this afternoon then.

Banker:  Sounds good.

John:  Okay, thank you.

Banker:  Thanks for calling.

John:  Bye.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

This is a difficult lesson. The banker gave John a lot of information to think about. The banker didn’t know the answers to some of the questions John asked about opening an account for foreign students. You can tell by the tone of his voice, and the way that he says, “uh,” often. Can you hear it?
Hopefully this will be a very useful lesson for all of you to listen to and study. If you have any other questions about going to the bank, or would like to tell us about an experience you had at the bank, come to the Life Goes On Message Board! We are all happy to help you!
Your friend,
Tanis

Comments

miffoo

miffoo

Slovakia

very interesting lesson :)

01:55 PM Mar 31 2009 |

Ramon700

Argentina

It is very interesting lesson , for me I catch some new words , finally this lesson is useful.

Thanks a lot for the author.

08:00 PM Dec 17 2008 |

mpeer28

Israel

It is amazing that in U.S there is a banker who is not expert in the procedure of setting up a checking

account

05:40 PM Dec 21 2007 |

yonghuaqiu@126.com

China

Through the talk i know what is the checking account ..UH..but to open a checking account is complex. Right ? we need a lot of imformation .so if i were in foriegn country .i would open a checking account .

10:35 AM Dec 21 2007 |

SINUFARAJ

SINUFARAJ

India

WHAT IS THE INDICATION OF JOHNS’S AS LIKE ” Do I have to do that there? .Is it mean ,is this possible to do? please send me its answer.

06:18 AM Mar 21 2007 |

Likes (30):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast