Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

water under the bridge

water under the bridge

Date: Oct 12 2006

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

”... it’s tough to go to work for people that you think maybe are holding one of your episodes hostage. But that’s kind of water under the bridge now because it’s going back on the air.”

South Park co-creator Matt Stone talking about the censorship of certain South Park episodes.

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

no longer an issue or problem

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Matt Stone is saying that the fact that his episodes got censored is water under the bridge because they ended up getting aired. The censorship caused a conflict that was eventually resolved. The episodes were aired, so the conflict is water under the bridge.

When something is water under the bridge, it is no longer an issue. It’s something that has been forgiven and is in the past.

You say something is water under the bridge when you have moved on, when you don’t want to talk about it anymore, or when you want someone else to know it is OK.

If you have an argument with your girlfriend, and then you both apologize, you may feel that you have forgiven her. If she comes to you later and apologizes again, you can reassure her. Say, “No need to apologize. It’s water under the bridge. Let’s forget it!”

Imagine a father and son who have argued for years. The father is old, and the son comes to him to ask forgiveness. The father says, “It’s water under the bridge, son. It’s in the past.”

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“My brother was mean to me when we were kids, but that’s all water under the bridge. We get along great now.”

“I apologized to Ruth for laughing at her, but she said it was water under the bridge. I’m so relieved she’s not angry with me.”

“Kenny and I had a horrible breakup, but that’s water under the bridge. We’re good friends now.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Olchen means that u should stop thinking about smth bad that happened in the past and forgive people who did bad
by Olchen
Y.Furu what happened in the past should be forgotten
by Y.Furu
Something you cann't change it because it is happened
by rehab_gad2000
wayne226 It doesn't matter anymore. It is not important anymore.
by wayne226
floralin7 i guess it means something that has already been a fact so you are not able to change.
by floralin7
talitapb past; something that happened but is not happening anymore
by talitapb
It means that we should forget the past.Past things should be forgotten.
by maryonline
it refers to a past experience that you decide to forget about
by Evangelina
Something unpleasant which is already past
by mrgiba
it belongs to the past, it's gone
by Lindsay
stoppardi meningless, not important
by stoppardi
malegal past events to be put aside. aka,let bygones be bygones.
by malegal
decide to forget the past experiences and conflicts
by liqiaoxia1015
amado event in the past can't be undone
by amado
sherryleio water under the bridge refers to something done, which can not be undone or corrected.
by sherryleio
hossein99 A past occurrence, especially something unfortunate, that cannot be undone or rectified
by hossein99

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Beepastry1958

United Kingdom

Online education is an interesting mode of getting what to do to get custom essays education. Mostly students who do not want to go outside the home for their studies get education through online system

12:05 PM May 05 2015 |

carmenlww

carmenlww

China

very useful!

06:33 AM Oct 18 2006 |

skylishuang0821

China

it is away and never happened again.

03:24 AM Oct 12 2006 |

Likes (20):

See all >