Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Hollywood Politics

Hollywood Politics

Date: Nov 22 2006

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

In the last few years, Hollywood actors have become much more visible on the political scene. They have spoken out against the war in Iraq, and against the Republican party.

During the Academy Awards the last few years, winning actors have used their short acceptance speeches to voice their political views and to try to mobilize the masses. When Adrien Brody won Best Actor for his role in The Pianist, he spoke out against the war, and continued to talk even when the music started playing to get him off stage.

Recently, George Clooney has been very active. His two recent Hollywood films, Good Night, and Good Luck, and Syriana, both exposed darkness and corruption within the US government. He also went to Darfur with his father to film the genocide there. Parts of that film were on Oprah.

Listen to Kevin and Mason talk about Hollywood activists.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Kevin

Kevin

Mason

Mason

Kevin:  Well, I’ve noticed in recent years, I mean, especially, I think since the 2000 elections, a real, uh, openness and, um, presence of the Hollywood activists, like Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, um, who else? I’m not thinking… I can’t think at the moment. Um…

Mason:  You know, George Clooney, uh…

Kevin:  Sharon Stone... like, Bono...

Mason:  To me, to me… it’s sticky when they get into politics. But, like, if they want to lend their power to move people to a cause, you know, whether that’s, like foreign aid, you know, third world country relief, or, you know, in the wake of Hurricane Katrina or whatever…

Kevin:  Sure, sure.

Mason:  There’s a place, but, but, when they start espousing their political views personally, you know, that, that’s kinda… I don’t know.

Kevin:  You know, I personally don’t have a huge problem with it, although I see where you’re going. And… although we saw in 2004 in the election, it… they made a lot of noise. The end result was not in their favor.

Mason:  Not so much.

Kevin:  Or our favor, for that matter.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Kevin doesn’t mind when Hollywood stars speak out, but Mason’s not so sure.

What do you think about Hollywood’s activists?

Should actors voice their political opinions or keep quiet?

Comments

June.Zou

June.Zou

China

sometimes everyone must has a only standpoint.

04:32 PM Nov 24 2006 |

1 person likes this

kaka135

Malaysia

I’ve no problem with the hollywood stars to voice out their political views, everyone should have the right to voice out his opinion.

11:59 PM Nov 22 2006 |

1 person likes this

Likes (9):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: