Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Cheating (Part 1)

Cheating (Part 1)

Date: Dec 12 2006

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Some people just can’t be faithful in relationships. They can’t love just one person. They give into temptation.

And some people suffer being betrayed by a lover. Whether their lover confesses to the crime, or they find out another way, one thing is for sure: It hurts.

This lesson is Part 1 of two lessons in which Mason and Emily talk about cheating. This week, they talk about whether they have ever cheated or been cheated on. Listen up.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Mason

Mason

Emily

Emily

Mason:  Uh, so Emily, you’re in a committed relationship, right?

Emily:  I am.

Mason:  And have you ever cheated on the guy?

Emily:  I have never cheated on my boyfriend and I’m not just saying that because he’s sitting just ten feet away from me.

Mason:  Uh-huh. Have you cheated on anyone ever?

Emily:  Um, I’ve never cheated on anyone, but my ex-boyfriend, uh… We were younger, we were in high school, and he cheated on me quite a bit.

Mason:  Quite a bit?

Emily:  Quite a bit.

Mason:  That’s a bummer.

Emily:  ‘Cause high school relationships… It was very emotionally damaging to me.

Mason:  Oh, God. You’re, like, gonna cry now.

Emily:  Have you been cheated on or have you… Don’t tell me you’re a cheater.

Mason:  Not to my knowledge. I have, I have been a party to cheating a few times.

Emily:  Mason!

Mason:  Um, in no prolonged sense.

Emily:  Shame on you.

Mason:  It’s usually been while I’m traveling, uh, you know…

Emily:  So do you abide by these rules that, like, if you’re in a different country it doesn’t count as cheating…

Mason:  No, no, no. It counts. It just… I somehow kinda… I rationalized it…

LISTEN NEXT WEEK FOR PART 2 OF THIS CONVERSATION.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Emily has never cheated, but she’s been cheated on. She said it really hurt.

Mason has cheated on his girlfriends. Next week he’ll talk about how he handled it.

Have you ever cheated or been cheated on?

Check out next week’s Eavesdropping lesson when Mason talks about whether to confess your betrayal to your lover.

Comments

AkbarALI

Pakistan

according to my point of view cheating is a bed habit to th wasting the time and really joking with other feeliing .

01:43 PM Jul 04 2011 |

Madline

Madline

Jordan

Oh No I never cheated or been a cheated on ,it will surely be a bad experience because its  so hard to miss the trust between u and ur boyfriend or ur girl friend ):  

04:59 PM Jun 27 2011 |

amado

amado

Jordan

if i’m in relationship with any woman that no “RING” between me and her .
so what the h….?
its nice to cheat while you free….. you know what i’m saying GUY’s,right

08:24 PM Jul 09 2010 |

dhtt86

dhtt86

United States

when they cheat u they dont want to know ur feelings . they just want only their parts thats how it is. i have a friend, he cheats on every girl he meets and i believe he has no sense of wh he doing. what is such a person like him.

04:48 PM Apr 16 2010 |

aynaz

aynaz

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

when you want to cheat ,just wait a second and see yourself in place of your partner and feel it,do you want to cheated on??????of course not,if you do this you will never ever think of cheating anymore because you can feel how bad it feels…..

07:09 AM May 25 2008 |

prem chand

Nepal

Cheating is an art some pepole use it for their own benifit ,while some for get away of the situation which they don't like.

sometimes it can save u to be in a dangerous situation,but it can hurt the feelings and can put in danger to other's also.

We can use this art with Brain and soul,so that both partie's can no be in a loosing situation.

Cheating others for one's own sake will get the same from other's .Cheater's should be aware of it and  should quit it.

01:52 PM May 23 2008 |

shoko_poland

Poland

That lesson is great!!! I never before don’t cheap my girlfriend but sometimes when I have an occasion I feel like doing it :)

08:43 PM Dec 13 2006 |

Likes (39):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast