Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Public Enemies

Public Enemies

Date: Aug 19 2009

Grammar: Phrasal Verbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

The 1930s was an exciting time for criminals in the US. During that era, outlaws such as Bonnie and Clyde became famous for their wild crime sprees. The country was fascinated by men like John Dillinger, a robber who held up over twenty banks and escaped from prison twice. Some saw Dillinger as a Robin Hood figure, or someone who steals from the rich and gives to the poor. He became a living legend in his time.

Public Enemies, a new film starring Johnny Depp, tells the story of Dillinger and several other gangsters. Listen to Marni and Mason talk about seeing their favorite actors play the parts of some famous criminals.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Mason

Mason

Marni:  Have you seen the newest Johnny Depp film?

Mason:  I did. The Public Enemies?

Marni:  Yeah. I just refer to it as the new Johhny Depp film, ‘cause I’ll see anything he’s in.

Mason:  I’m right there with you. I thought it was really really interesting. It was a cool period piece. And the myth of John Dillinger just has so much historical weight to it that you start seeing him as this big figure, whereas they wanted to show him as more of a guy who’s just this kind of rock star, rebel character.

Marni:  I really like the cast. I’m a big fan of Marion Cotillard. And Christian Bale.

Mason:  Christian Bale, yeah, he’s kind of the cop who’s chasing after him.

Marni:  Right! I mean I think it’s a fabulous cast.

Mason:  It really is. And there hasn’t been a good chase ‘em cop movie in a while.

Marni:  And it’s also those films where you really relate to the character, you know, to the…I mean, John Dillinger, sort of a bad guy. But you’re rooting for him. And back in the day, people were sort of rooting for those characters because they were the underdog and they were taking on the banks.

Mason:  Couldn’t be a John Dillinger now, the banks don’t have any money!

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Phrasal Verbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni is excited to see Public Enemies because Johhny Depp in it. She likes to watch all of his movies. Mason has seen the movie already and he liked it.

John Dillinger was a living legend in the 1930s. Public Enemies tries to portray him as more of an ordinary man. It also does a good job of portraying the look and atmosphere of the 30s.

Mason likes movies about cops and gangsters. He and Marni also appreciate movies where you get to root for the bad guy. Even though John Dillinger was a criminal, many people saw him as a hero because he stole from the rich banks.

Are there any famous Robin Hood figures in your country? Do you think it is ever OK to steal?

Comments

baofengyu

baofengyu

China

look like chinese style

02:55 PM Jan 30 2012 |

PRISCILA18

Colombia

i haven´t seen this movie but i think that it´s a good movie for its characters…. oh… its main character johhny depp… he is an excellent actor… i love him….

03:45 PM Nov 05 2009 |

ciberd7

ciberd7

Brazil

No, they´re all bag guys! I mean, there are no people who steal from the riches and give to the poor. The opposite is more ordinary!

I don´t think it´s ok to steal, because you´re stealing something you´re not the owner! Can u picture in your mind how disgusting it is?

02:09 PM Aug 25 2009 |

Cazz

Germany

I saw "Public Enemies" and I liked the movie a lot, especially because John Dillinger was an actual person – and they filmed at places where Dillinger REALLY did what they showed in the movie.

I can understand why some people find this film boring. It sure has its "lame" moments, because it is not all action, but it's historically real and – damnit, it's Johnny Depp!

11:42 PM Aug 24 2009 |

claire15

claire15

Andorra

Now I want see the film! I'm sure it will be fantastic!

02:58 PM Aug 24 2009 |

claire15

claire15

Andorra

Now I want see the film! I'm sure it will be fantastic!

02:58 PM Aug 24 2009 |

Metalhead

Metalhead

Russian Federation

I saw the movie, but the movie not pop, not for a lot of people. I like the movie because that is historical and gangs's.

I like play officer FBI

good job.

01:59 PM Aug 23 2009 |

saeed92

Kuwait

yess the  movie was great and of course Johnny depp too.especially end of movie was very impressed me ..That the man who is such  clever  died like this way is so disappointing..:/

i gree with you

03:19 PM Aug 22 2009 |

andrespretty2

Colombia

In Colombia existed a man that stole the riches for giving to the poors, He called Pablo Escobar Gaviria, the half of Colombian people adored him, but the other half didn't  like him, he helped a lot of people with money and houses, made parks, even a neigborhood with his name and offer it for poor people, he thought to pay the external debt that was a lot of money, those were some things goods of him, but he was a drug trafficker, kill too much people and his fortune was about   Us$ 10.000.000.000, In 1990 he became the richest man of the world.

09:33 PM Aug 21 2009 |

Someone in time

Costa Rica

Now I wanna see this movie…

I'm sure I'm gonna rent it this afternoon…

03:15 PM Aug 21 2009 |

Romio79

Romio79

Russian Federation

Ha-ha, you'll learn a lot, be sureLaughing.

02:12 PM Aug 21 2009 |

max1983

max1983

Germany

I haven't seen that film yet. Now I know that it is worth to watch it. This a informative film which tell a true story, right? I thing this kind of films is invaluable(extremely useful) for us. Through such a this movie you can learn more about a past.

10:45 AM Aug 21 2009 |

Romio79

Romio79

Russian Federation

I don’t remember we have in Russia such a hero as Robin Hood. But unfortunatly we have had another one: Lenin and his comrades. They have seized a lot of private property.
As for the film I saw it but I don’t like it. It was boring and rather lame. But Johhny Depp play good, very good.

07:23 PM Aug 20 2009 |

sofree

sofree

China

In nowadays, I don't think so, but in ancient Chinese stories, there's a lot of "Robin Hood".

It's OK to steal from corrupted government, but very hard to do it.

05:36 AM Aug 20 2009 |

Ca_Brazil

Ca_Brazil

Brazil

Unfortunatelly nowadays i have seen more corrupt people that steal from good people, i cant remember any kind of bad guy like that here. it might was interesting in the past but i dont think its such a good idea at this time. 

12:01 AM Aug 20 2009 |

mukashi

mukashi

Myanmar

Historically, there was a man like Robin Hood in my country. Every people loved him except government and rich people. In my opinion helping poor people is a good thing but stealing is the bad habit. We should use the another way to help or support poor people.  I also want to support and help poor people but don't want to steal from others. However I admire Robin Hood and my country's hero.

11:53 PM Aug 19 2009 |

Nairon

Nairon

Brazil

Yes, I also wantto watch this movie, I think it's gonna be a sucess in the cinemas all over the world

07:18 PM Aug 19 2009 |

Thadeus

Bolivia

I haven’t seen the movie yet, though it seems interesting. I found thgis lesson very exciting and Í’ll try to get in touch more often.
Thanks

06:39 PM Aug 19 2009 |

_NERON_

_NERON_

Azerbaijan

crime taht is cool 

04:54 PM Aug 19 2009 |

joaco

joaco

Argentina

how can you say that you dont have any robin hood in mexico? have you ever heard of "Subcomandante Marcos"?

04:30 PM Aug 19 2009 |

Likes (22):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast