Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

sell me out

sell me out

Date: Jul 17 2003

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

“I thought he was the one. But I was wrong. I didn’t think he was gonna go
on (TV) and sell me out.”
- Britney Spears, pop star, talking about ex-boyfriend Justin
Timberlake
. (W Magazine)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

betray me, do something bad to me in order to benefit, reveal personal information about me to receive something in exchange

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

When Britney says that Justin sold her out, she is saying that he did something bad to her. You can use sell out to describe the actions of a person who does bad things to others. For example, if your little brother tells your mother that you broke her favorite lamp, you could say that your brother sold you out. Or, if one of your friends tells someone one of your secrets, you could say that the friend sold you out.

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

””I don’t want to go to school today, so I’m going to tell mom that I’m sick. Don’t sell me out and tell her I’m really not sick, OK? If you do, I’m going to be really mad at you.”“

””Jessica totally sold me out! She told Jeff that I want to go on a date with him. I’m so embarrassed! I can’t believe she did that.”“

””I hate Jack. He’s such a jerk. If he does something bad again I’m going to sell him out. I’m going to tell the police. He’ll go to jail.”“

””The criminal was caught because someone sold him out. One of his friends told the police that he had stolen the car.”“

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

To sell somebody out means to betray that person by revealing personal information to others in order to receive something (e.g.support) in exchange.
by Maria Elena (Mar del Plata, Argentina)
I think it means when a friend betrays you… like when I was at the bar talking to a hot girl and my friend, I’ll call him Kyle, promptly informed her that I had a girlfriend… Kyle “sold me out.”
by Jonathan (Portland, OR, USA)
“Sell somebody out” means to betray somebody, or do something against somebody. (Justin is a jerk according to this!)
by Joyce (jh, China)
I think, when you sell someone out, you are exposing the private matters about that person.
by Surya (Hillsboro, USA)
Means for me, he went to the media and he told everything about their relationship. He gossiped.
by Krisztina (Szeged, Hungary)
to betray, to say private things to everybody about a person we know. To talk about someone.
by lizbeth (Puebla, Mexico)
I think this means revealing the secrets of somebody.
by Tracy (Hong Kong, China)
In my point of view Justin said on TV things to show a bad image of her.
by Aline (Piracicaba, SP, Brasil)
She didn’t think Justin would tell to everyone about their private life, everything that is personal, concerning her habits…
by Gaby (São Paulo, Brasil)
Say something which was not supposed to be said (or shared) about somebody. Expose somebody by revealing intimate secrets.
by Marcelo (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
I think that the meaning is told bad things about me.
by Patrícia (Joaçaba, Brasil)
sell me out” means “betray me”
by Monique (Liege, Belgium)
Sell me out” in this case means when somebody betrays a person who trusted them, by not doing something that they promised to do or by doing something that they promised not to do. It also means to reveal damaging information about someone.
by Orlando Serna (Tampa Fl., United States)
To sell me out means to tell something which is cofidential to me to public or somebody else. That is, to tell a secret just between him/her and me to somebody else for a certain purpose.
by Yunfang (Xi’an, P.R.China)
talk about somebody’s secrets although you’re supposed to keep them.
by Bulent (Istanbul, Turkey)
It means to betray someone.
by Jia Lin (Verdun – Montreal, Canada)
be cheated, betrayed
by binsheng (Changsha, Hunan, China)
sell out means to betray
by ElleN (DL, China)
It means betray.
by Sherry (ShenZhen, China)
I guess it means someone make use of his realitivty or friend for oneself profits.
by siguang xu (Chongqing City, China)
tell something about one’s privacy
by Lulex (Beijing, China)
It means to peach friend, to tell other people the personal things, the secret things of friend.
by f (HangZhou, China)
I guess this slang means we stab someone in the back, use our language to offend someone in the sudden situation. This make them so surprised and be offended seriously.
by Khang (HCMC, Vietnam)
To sell someone out is to cut them down; to denigrate them. To say things another doesn’t want to be said.
by Andre (Sorocaba, Brazil)
sell me out means: talks about our private life in public.
by DeSiDeRaTa (Elfaiha, Kuwait)
Sell me out“means leaving alone or turning against me or cheating me?
by Honour (Taiyuan, China)
betray her, say bad words on her
by Fin (Taipei, Taiwan)
to betray
by elena (Vancouver, Canada)
I believe when you “sell someone out” you betray that person somehow.
by João (Nova Friburgo, Brazil)
It means tell someone else your secret which you actually don’t want to tell anyone
by Doris (Shanghai, China)
betray someone wrong
by jason (Shanghai, China)
i think sell me out means betray me.
by Ivy (Malaysia)
betray; say something bad about her; treat her as a stranger or the one he doesn’t care of.
by janice (Hong Kong, china)
It means “to say something about someone, and this person is going to be in a bad situation”
by Salerno (Rio de Janeiro, Brasil)
I think it means someone betrays you and tells others something secret between you and him.
by Portia (Hualien, Taiwan)
sell someone out is to tell others secretive things about a person
by Jodie (Taipei City, Taiwan)
to betray, do something without considering someone
by PingChieh (Taipei, Taiwan)
isn’t loyal to her
by hui (Shanghai, China)
Tell things about a person that maybe only you know (like secrets)
by Ibmr (New York, USA)
traitor
by jeannett (Jinhua, China)
to leave on the half way
by ayþe (Eskiþehir, Turkey)
be not frank to somebody
by apple (Jiangsu, China)
to dismiss, dump s.o, to disappoint s.o
by Milena (Ariano Irpino, Italy)
I think the meaning is that one leaves another one, not together. reduce to someone be alone.
by Puff (SZ, China)
In my opion, it means that her boyfriend don’t want to fall in love with her. her boyfriend say goodbye to her.
by hau (Peking, China)
put me on the commercials for viewers to buy
by ts (Bangkok, Thailand)
It means something like becoming worn out, very tired of something.
by Daridio Noel (Guarulhos, Brazil)

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

LoriHicks

United States

Amazing video album! I much liked Britney songs.

Mens Red Stripes Biker Black Jacket 

12:45 PM Jan 12 2017 |

Jacob21

United States

Today I have learnet a new term “sell me out”. I did not used this slang before. Now I know the proper meaning and I can start using this. I am collecting slangs like this one although the http://rushxessay.com/ is helping me with that. 

02:21 PM Sep 18 2016 |

Mislivend196

Åland Islands

Some people have the habit to get and to become jealous by others. Even on small things as they wanted to be the best and become dominant term paper writers on others for all the time so they don’t bear other to get dominant in front of others.

11:09 AM Jun 09 2015 |

surana

surana

Malaysia

betrayed

04:13 PM Mar 31 2007 |

Likes (15):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace