Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Be my Valentine?

Be my Valentine?

Date: Feb 10 2004

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

George and Amy have been friends for a long time. They’ve known each other since they were children and share a wonderful friendship. Recently, George started developing romantic feelings for Amy. However, he has never been brave enough to tell her, until now. 
Listen in to find out what Amy will say when George tells her the truth about the way he feels.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

George

Amy

Amy

George:  Amy, I’ve got something I want to talk to you about.

Amy:  Oh yeah?  What’s up?

George:  Well, we’ve been friends a long time, and I value that more than anything.

Amy:  Me too.

George:  But what I have to say might jeopardize all that.  You’re probably going to freak out when you hear it.

Amy:  Listen, I know you so well, I don’t think there’s anything you could say that would do any damage to our friendship.

George:  I’ll cut right to the chase.   Amy, I love you.  I’ve always loved you and I feel like you should know.

Amy:  What?  Are you serious?

George:  I’m dead serious.

Amy:  Oh my God.   I don’t know what to say.  I’m, I’m in shock...

George:  I needed to tell you.  I’ve been hiding from the truth for too long.  You don’t have to tell me you love me back.  I realize you probably don’t feel the same way.

Amy:  George, you’re the sweetest guy and you know you’re one of my best friends.  But I just don’t feel that way about you.

George:  You don’t have to say anything else.   Your reaction was just like I thought it would be.  I do have one little favor though…  Will you be my Valentine this year?  As a friend of course.

Amy:  As a friend?  Of course I will.   And every year after as well. 

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

The conversation brings about a difficult situation for both people. George is very good friends with Amy, but he has been worried that if he tells her his romantic feelings, she will get scared and not want to be his friend anymore.
Did George do the right thing by telling Amy how he really feels?  Maybe.  Maybe Valentine’s Day was a good excuse to help him share the truth. He probably feels much better now that he’s done so.
Have you ever had this happen to you?   What about your friends?  What kind of advice would you give them?
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Beth

Comments

wAr^^Yu

wAr^^Yu

Croatia

very

02:34 AM May 14 2012 |

Likes (8):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook