Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Family

Family

Date: Feb 02 2004

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Hello!
Family is a common topic of conversation amongst friends. Family is an easy thing to talk about, because everyone has a family, in one form or another. Siblings, in particular, are a good source of interesting anecdotes and stories. It seems like everyone who has a brother or sister has a crazy story to tell.
John’s sister recently got a fun new job. Listen to his recent conversation with Miguel to hear all about it.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

John

John

Miguel

Miguel

John:  My sister just got this new job in Santa Monica that sounds pretty cool.

Miguel:  What is she doing?

John:  Well, you know how she wants to be an actress?

Miguel:  Yeah, but I didn’t know she was having too much success with that.

John:  Well, she just got a job down at this acting school that’s right on the Promenade in, uh, on 3rd street. You know where that is?

Miguel:  Um, I guess so. Like the mall you mean? The outdoor mall?

John:  Yeah, that place where all the people go on the weekends and hang out.

Miguel:  So what does she actually do down there?

John:  Well she teaches some classes, and then on the weekends she, uh, sits out at a booth and tries to do some marketing and get people to come into the school.

Miguel:  Does she have to wear a weird costume or anything? Or is it just like, she’s like a friendly face trying to convince people?

John:  She’s just a friendly face, you know, like a booth babe. And, uh, she, she hands out literature and, and, and, uh, pamphlets and things to all the people that come by that, that wanna be famous.

Miguel:  Is she liking it?

John:  Yeah, she loves it. She just sits down there in 75 degree weather outside all day and maybe 3 or 4 people come and talk to her. So she just, she can just read and hang out.

Miguel:  That doesn’t sound too bad.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Having a sister is so much fun! I have a sister and she’s one of the most important people in my life. We share many of the same traits and habits, but each of us has our own quirks. For example, I’m a little bit shy and reserved, while she’s very outgoing and excited about meeting new people.
Whether you have a big family or a small one, family is a fun thing to talk about – and it’s a great way to practice your English!
Have a great week!
Beth

Comments

Jovana55

Serbia and Montenegro

I live in a big family. I have twin sister and the elder one. |It’s never boring in our house and I always have someone to talk with.

Having sisters is funny and pleasure, especially when you have a twin sister.:) She is always with me, and we do everythinh together. We go out together, go to school, on a trip, we study together and so on… She is my real and the best friend I have ever had. I know she wont dissapoint me and make a fool of me. Also, i know she will be there for me and stands by me at any time. I can tee\ll her everything and she tells me everything about her. We know each other really well, and we are related to each other. Sometimes when she feels something, I can feel that too. It’s amazing feeling, I just cant describe it by words.Although we have the similar features of face,  we have different traits and each of us has our own quirks, which is normal. :)

Alse, having elder sister is good. She is three years older than us and she is always willing to help us when we have a problem. She advise us and suggests what we have to do in certain moments.

We have a lot of anecdotes to talk about.

03:33 PM Jul 20 2012 |

Likes (5):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast