Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Gossip

Gossip

Date: Sep 14 2009

Themes: Alternative

Grammar: Simple Past Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

If rock n’ roll is about defying conventions and taking a stand, then Beth Ditto, lead singer of the band Gossip, is a true rocker. She is an advocate for gay rights, and she’s outspoken about beauty coming in all shapes and sizes.

Ditto is a controversial figure. But she’s also a talented musician. Gossip’s sound is a unique blend of soul, funk, and punk. The band has a new album filled with catchy, danceable songs. Listen to Marni and Devan gossip about Gossip.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Ella

Ella

Marni

Marni

Ella:  The Gossip is such a great band.

Marni:  Yeah. They’re gonna have their major label debut. Their new album’s called Music for Men. And what I think is really interesting about them, you know, Beth Ditto, their singer, she’s super outspoken. Not only about being a lesbian but just about being proud about being whatever size, shape you are. Just being a woman and embracing that.

Ella:  Well, I love their videos, they’re so creative. The music is like electrical funky deep soul. I love her voice. She’s got a great voice.

Marni:  Yeah, she is, and I think that she’s…I like that she’s so outspoken about her sexual orientation because I think she really empowers a lot of LGBT kids just to embrace who they are.

Ella:  And good music is definitely a plus. You’ve got a great advocate and some good tunes.

Marni:  So, did you ever see when she posed naked for uh…

Ella:  I did not have the pleasure of seeing that.

Marni:  Interesting. I think there was a lot of controversy about that. But I think…I don’t know, I think they’re a great band. I think they deserve a lot of accolades.

Ella:  Yeah, I can’t wait to see them when they come into town.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Simple Past Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Ella loves the band Gossip. Although the band has been together since 1999, it has recently become more mainstream. Its new album, Music for Men, is the band’s first album with a major label.

Gossip’s lead singer, Beth Ditto, is an outspoken advocate for gay rights. She also encourages women to be proud of their bodies no matter what size they are. She recently created a controversy by posing nude on the cover of a British music magazine.

Do you agree that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes? What’s the last thing you were outspoken about?

Comments

tiger_bagira

Greece

NICE

10:59 AM Nov 14 2010 |

kpl

kpl

Taiwan

it's total such a band  out of convention , accolade  their outspoken difference   .

04:31 PM May 09 2010 |

mickee85

mickee85

Philippines

No matter how big you are, as long as you know how to handle it, it was nothing.

01:56 PM Dec 20 2009 |

Dni24

Venezuela

Yes, i agree.. All the person are beutiful.. No only the body.. because no all the people have a perfect body..

09:12 PM Oct 07 2009 |

kukuka

kukuka

Ukraine

she is gorgeous and u can tell in her body language that she doesnt care. Beth is an icon to all young girls out there. she shows how beauty comes in all different, shapes, sizes and colors. dont hate! appreciate. at least her body is real and not fake like everyone else who is famous

08:00 AM Sep 21 2009 |

tiagon85

Brazil

I think beauty is a relative issue, i mean, it depends on who is seeing and if you see yourself in a beauty way you´ll be beautiful. There are more importants things than be physically beautiful like being smart, charming and loving

08:25 PM Sep 20 2009 |

mani124

mani124

Pakistan

hmmmgood their thinking is good i must say

and i also think that love all type of peoples black,white ,short,long and poor etc.but not physical realation

I DONT know Y GIRLS R GOING IN THIS WAY. I DONT LIKE THIS GOD has created men for girls so y  they  r taking interest in girls this is not good 

02:53 AM Sep 20 2009 |

China

hi

04:42 AM Sep 19 2009 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Be sincerely happy as you are! ‘Cause I’m pretty glad as I’m ;)

12:51 AM Sep 19 2009 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Hehe what I can say…Each one has their opinion about this subject…Well,I work with "beauty",so 80% ofpeople when come into a gym are looking for beauty,health 10% and leisure,scape from stress and others 10%...

I have never heard on this band Gossip,and I just seach for it on youtube…They aren't the type of music I like,but they aren't so bad…And I saw the singer,she is a little chubby hehe…But is she likes herself like that,what's the problem? I guess,it can be a choice,right? Unlike me,my choice is to be fit ;)

So,I have a criteria of "beauty" and not always correspond to my profession,for instance,I have had girlfriends out of shape,even a little chubby,but in fact, I value the "harmony",in the other hand,beauty is in the "set" ;)

12:44 AM Sep 19 2009 |

arcana

arcana

Italy

First of all I think respect for human dignity must guide our lives.

That said, Heavy Cross is one of the more catchy songs of the year!

08:56 AM Sep 16 2009 |

TURKO

TURKO

Turkey

l don t have any problems wıth LGBT,on the other hand l m not agree wıth Cool English Teacher,l believe democracy and people must tell theır opinion about someone or something in a respectful way ...

09:52 PM Sep 15 2009 |

Cool English Teacher

Brazil

A big big NO to intolerance!!!

07:10 PM Sep 15 2009 |

sofree

sofree

China

I'm agree that beauty can come in all shapes and sizes, but if you go too over, that's not healthy at all.  And I'm also ok with LGBT, even Alan Turing got his apology. But this woman, Beth Ditto, is crazy and sick, totally a narcissist, she does need diet.

The last thing I was outspoken might be the misapplied antibiotic in China.

12:05 PM Sep 15 2009 |

Dabren

Dabren

Mexico

jajajaj Rosendo jajaj is a crazy man !!! jajajajaja !!

ASKOOOO !!!

02:39 AM Sep 15 2009 |

Dabren

Dabren

Mexico

jajajaj Rosendo jajaj is a crazy man !!! jajajajaja !!

ASKOOOO !!!1

02:39 AM Sep 15 2009 |

Ca_Brazil

Ca_Brazil

Brazil

To be or not not be, its the question. everyone has their own opinions, so as long as what some guys do dont hurt others, whatever. respect always should comes first everywhere to everybody.  

09:55 PM Sep 14 2009 |

Likes (27):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast