Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Requiem for a Dream

Requiem for a Dream

Date: Feb 15 2001

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Migs asks Zach if he saw any movies over the weekend. Zach did see a movie called “Requiem for a Dream.” It was showing at a second-run theater. These theaters show movies after they play at regular theaters. Because many people have already seen the movies at these theaters, the tickets are very cheap. “Requiem for a Dream” is a tragic movie about four people who are addicted to drugs.  

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Migs

Zach

Zach

Migs:  Zach, did you see any movies this weekend?

Zach:  Yeah, actually, um, I went to one at a second-run theater and I rented a couple too.

Migs:  So, what did you see?

Zach:  Um, we went down to The Laurelhurst and we saw “Requiem for a Dream.” It’s a pretty good movie. But, I have to say it’s not for the faint of heart.

Migs:  Why is that?

Zach:  Um, it’s about, uh, these drug addicts and it’s about addiction in general. And it’s just really, really intense. And it…and by the end of the movie you feel kind of exhausted.

Migs:  Who directed it?

Zach:  Actually I don’t know the name of the director.

Migs:  I thought you were always up on that kind of stuff.

Zach:  No I’m not Rex Reed.

Migs:  But, you’re a movie buff though. You’re supposed to know those kind of things. Well so, why, why is it so hard to watch?

Zach:  Um, well you just watch the whole cycle of, um, these addicts and how their life kind of spins out of control. And then by the end of the movie, um, it’s just really bleak and depressing. And they, uh..and it’s just…but, it’s really a powerful, dramatic movie. It gets out of control.

Migs:  So should I see it or what?

Zach:  Yeah, you should totally see it, but you should be prepared for some pretty, um, graphic imagery and some pretty difficult subject matter.

Migs:  All right. I’ll check it out.

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

This is a very intense movie. It deals with very difficult subject matter. When most people think of addicts they think of hard-core drug users. But, this movie shows that addicts come in all shapes and sizes. It also shows the tremendous tragedy of addiction in the stories of four people. This movie will make you feel nauseous. I think it’s meant to do that. But, you will also feel a little bit better about your own life. You’ll feel lucky for having escaped some of the tragic situations these people face. Have you seen this movie? Many critics called it a masterpiece, but some hated it for being graphic and exploitative. What do you think? Come to the “Movie Madness” message board and ask them! From the front row, Zach

Comments

Nicte ha

Nicte ha

Mexico

Wow, really what a drastic, rude & strong movie.Surprised

04:27 AM Dec 04 2010 |

Carpe__Diem

Turkey

Impressive..Forever Darren Aranovsky.)

10:40 PM Jan 07 2009 |

Glo

Glo

Italy

i've actually watched this movie and what i can sayis that it involves u alot and the scenes sre kind of blurry and quick sometimes just to make u feel exactly as the way characters feel.It has absolutly a bad end but also makes u reflect a lot about addiction afterwards.

07:18 AM May 21 2007 |

Likes (-1):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast