Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Once Upon a Time in Mexico

Once Upon a Time in Mexico

Date: Sep 25 2003

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

In the new movie Once Upon a Time in Mexico Antonio Banderas stars as El Mariachi, a man who is haunted and scarred by tragedy. After many sad events, he has retreated into a life of isolation. He is forced out of hiding when Sands (Johnny Depp), a corrupt CIA agent, recruits the hero to thwart an assassination plot against the president of Mexico, which has been conceived by the evil cartel kingpin, Barillo (Willem Dafoe). But El Mariachi also has his own reasons for returning – blood revenge. The legend of El Mariachi reaches new heights of adventure.  
Beth saw Once Upon a Time in Mexico last weekend. Listen to her tell Zach all about it.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Zach

Zach

Beth

Beth

Zach:  So Beth, did you see any good movies?

Beth:  I did. I saw Once Upon a Time in Mexico and it was awesome. I definitely would recommend it.

Zach:  What’s it about?

Beth:  It’s about a… Well it’s a interesting story. There’s a relationship between a CIA agent and some, uh, drug cartel families in Mexico, and another guy who’s, um, kind of, sort of like a patriot, and it’s just a shoot ‘em up Mexican film, but it has all of these amazing scenes and such great humor and a great cast. So, it’s kind of an action-adventure type film, but it also has a lot of cultural relevance and cool action scenes.

Zach:  Wow! That sounds awesome. So, it’s kinda like this fast-paced, uh, just really nice movie. Is there, are there subtitles?

Beth:  No. It’s all in English, but, uh, there’s a really famous cast. It was Benicio Del Toro and Johnny Depp and, uh, Salma Hayek and Julio Eglesias. So – pretty well-rounded cast. And the director’s pretty well known. His name is Robert Rodriguez.

Zach:  That sounds really cool. I’ll have to check it out.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Beth may not have all of the cast member’s names correct, but she does have a lot of excitement about Once Upon a Time in Mexico. You can hear her positive feelings about the movie in the tone of her voice. She’s done a good job of convincing both me and Zach to see the movie.
If you’re interested in movies like Once Upon a Time in Mexico, you should check out some of Robert Rodriguez’ other films, including El Mariachi, Desperado and From Dusk Till Dawn.
See you at the movies!
Anna

Comments

Belosnejka

Russian Federation

Oh I havent been in Mexico! there are a lot of interesting)

06:09 AM Apr 29 2019 |

pentatonical

Argentina

thanks for sharing!

03:40 PM Apr 23 2019 |

hansara123

Venezuela

Thank you for sharing valuable information. Nice post. I enjoyed reading this post.

09:33 AM Apr 18 2019 |

james621lara

United States

This is a decent free diversion site.I additionally frequently play in available time.If you don’t mind visit our site and play energizing amusement.

01:28 PM Aug 22 2018 |

foudmounir

Morocco

i think it is a good movie by the way and i am keen on watching this kinks of movies and especially adventure films

11:31 AM Mar 27 2008 |

Likes (17):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast