Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Pirates of the Caribbean

Pirates of the Caribbean

Date: Nov 26 2003

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

For the roguish yet charming Captain Jack Sparrow (Depp), the crystal clear waters of the Caribbean present a vast playground where adventure and mystery abound. But Jack’s idyllic pirate life is ruined when his nemesis, the wily Captain Barbossa (Rush), steals his ship, the Black Pearl, and kidnaps the Governor’s beautiful daughter, Elizabeth Swann (Knightley).
As the story unfolds, Will (Bloom), who is in love with Elizabeth, enlists the help of Captain Jack to save her from the evil pirates.
Miguel recently saw Pirates of the Caribbean. Listen in to his conversation with Beth to hear what he has to say about it.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Miguel

Miguel

Beth

Beth

Miguel:  Hey Beth, are you a Johnny Depp fan?

Beth:  I am. He’s an awesome actor and he’s pretty cute too.

Miguel:  Yeah, I was… I just saw him in a movie the other night, um – Pirates of the Caribbean. Have you seen that yet?

Beth:  No I haven’t. Is that like, uh, some Disney animation?

Miguel:  No. It’s actually a live-action film, but it does have some, like, computer animated, like, ghosts and stuff. But, Johnny Depp plays the coolest character in that movie. He’s so funny.

Beth:  Is he a pirate?

Miguel:  Yeah. He’s like this, uh, captain pirate, and, uh, I don’t know how he does it, but he just turns what would be kind of an ordinary role into like the coolest, funniest, like weirdest, most bizarre guy, you know. He just is so unique amongst actors.

Beth:  That sounds really good. So, is it based on some historical time period, or is it more of a modern rendition of the traditional pirate story?

Miguel:  Well, you know, I think it’s based on that ride – Pirates of the Caribbean – that’s at Disneyland. But, it is historical. All the characters are old and they ride horses and all that stuff.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

I thought Pirates of the Caribbean was great fun. All the characters are good. In addition to Johnny Depp, I thought Orland Bloom, Geoffrey Rush and Keira Knightly all did an amazing job. The costumes, makeup, sets and special effects are all amazing too!
If you like pirate stories, you’ll love Pirates of the Caribbean.
See you at the movies!
Anna

Comments

mahbubeh92

mahbubeh92

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I saw one of his movies named SECRET WINDOW .his role was awesome in the movie.

07:47 AM Jun 24 2014 |

sara1998

sara1998

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I know that I’ve seen this movie but I cannot remember it!

05:12 PM Jun 23 2014 |

Andressa Holland

Brazil

I have a friend who loves pirate stories and, of course, he loved Pirates of the Caribbean. I like it, but not that much!

______

pinklily, I think that too. I can’t watch in English only because I can’t understand at all. I watched the movie but with subtitle in my native language.

02:18 PM May 27 2012 |

pinklily

pinklily

China

I do love this movie and the cool captin,but this dialogue sounds difficult for me.

11:12 AM Aug 17 2005 |

Likes (18):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast