Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

The First Cut...

The First Cut...

Date: Feb 17 2004

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Sheryl Crow is one of the biggest names in rock music. In the past 10 years, she’s created some of the best albums ever made by a female musician. Her powerful voice and touching lyrics appeal to many different kinds of music fans.
Sheryl recently released a new album called The Very Best of Sheryl Crow. It features 14 of her biggest hits from the past, as well as two new songs. One of those new songs has already become a big hit too. It’s called “The First Cut Is The Deepest” and it’s actually a remake of a song written by Cat Stevens.
Read on to learn more!

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

“The First Cut Is The Deepest” was originally written by Cat Stevens, and it was made famous by Rod Stewart. Stewart’s version of the song was a #1 hit in 1976. Sheryl Crow’s version is a little bit different, because it’s sung from a women’s point of view.
When Sheryl sings “The First Cut…” she is singing to a man who loves her. She is telling him that she’ll try to love him, but unfortunately she’s not sure if she’ll be able to. She doesn’t think she can love again, because she was hurt by a man in the past. “The first cut” refers to the first love, and the first pain suffered because of a broken heart.
Check out some of the lyrics:
I would have given you all of my heart
But there’s someone who’s torn it apart
And he’s taken just all that I had
But if you want I’ll try to love again
Baby, I’ll try to love again but I know
The first cut is the deepest
Baby I know the first cut is the deepest
But when it comes to being lucky he’s cursed
When it comes to loving me he’s worst
I still want you by my side
Just to help me dry the tears that I’ve cried
And I’m sure going to give you a try
And if you want I’ll try to love again
Baby, I’ll try to love again but I know
The first cut is the deepest
Baby I know the first cut is the deepest
But when it comes to being lucky he’s cursed
When it comes to loving me he’s worst

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

“The First Cut Is The Deepest” is a great song. It was great when it was performed by Cat Stevens and even better when performed by Rod Stewart. Sheryl Crow’s version is definitely the best yet. It’s a perfect song for her, because she sounds so sincere and honest when singing it.
I think Sheryl Crow is an amazing artist. Her greatest hits album is a spectacular collection of songs that is essential for any music fan.
Rock on,
Migs

Comments

afufu

China

I haven't been here for a while, that means I am lazy lately. I spent too much time on thinking about my future, my plan and other things. I need to do more but thinking.

This website is very helpful. You can learn some grammer from here and you can write down whatever you what to say here. Writing is a very good way to improve my English, so I decide to come here everyday to write something. I hope I can do that.

Best wishes to everybody. Happy new year, happy every day.

12:35 PM Jan 03 2011 |

ThuyDuong

Viet Nam

thanks much! I've learned more!

02:51 PM Nov 08 2007 |

ThuyDuong

Viet Nam

thnks much!5 stars

02:38 PM Nov 08 2007 |

annissa

annissa

Algeria

francly,i ven't listen to sherlyi crow be4,but naw when i read those faboulus words,i'll do.cuz she is touching any person lived this experience be4

07:49 PM Nov 05 2007 |

ty nguyen

Virgin Islands, U.S.

i don't know why i can't listento this song

??

03:58 PM Nov 05 2007 |

Angiemoon

Angiemoon

Ecuador

It's life cause your first love is someone you won't forget it doesn't matter if it was a fairy tell or it was the worst, you will take him/her with you forever

01:51 AM Oct 30 2007 |

lisa lee

China

I'll listen to this great song if I have chance. The simple lyrics touch me. The first love is the most precious for everyone. Keep in mind the man or woman who we love and loves us at first cut. That's our youth forever.

09:47 AM Oct 15 2007 |

Michellita

Michellita

Brazil

Love Sheryl! She rocks!!!!

09:58 PM Oct 11 2007 |

Likes (20):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace