Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Puffy!

Puffy!

Date: Jul 15 2002

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

In the U.S., when we hear the name “Puffy” we think of Sean “Puffy” Combs, the famous rapper and music producer. However, in Japan the biggest, most popular Puffy isn’t a rapper, it’s a musical duo made up of two cute young female singers. In fact, Puffy is one of the most popular musical groups in Japanese history. They have their own TV show, they’re on lots of commercials and they even have their own line of toys and dolls.
Even though Puffy isn’t American, and they don’t sing in English, I’m writing about them because I was lucky enough to see them in concert last night.
Read on to learn more about Puffy.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Puffy is on a North American tour, and they came to a tiny theater in Portland. In Japan, Puffy shows are huge. Thousands of people pack into huge arenas to watch them. Their shows are like Britney Spears’ shows in the U.S. However, in Portland, there were less than 700 people in the audience. I was able to stand near the front of the stage, less than 10 feet from Puffy!
Seeing Puffy in such a small place was amazing. They had a great band, and the quality of the music was very high. I couldn’t understand any of their lyrics, but I didn’t need to. The music spoke to me. It was fun. It was light. It was happy. My friends and I were dancing and clapping along to the music.
Puffy did speak a little bit of English during the show. Between songs, they read stories about their tour from small pieces of paper. Hopefully they’ll use English, baby! to improve their English so they can speak without the aid of paper next time they come to Portland!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

I’ve said it many times before, but I’m going to say it again: I love music! It was so cool to see a famous musical group from another country, because it shows how similar we all are. Our cultures may be different, our skin colors may be different, our faces may look different, but we all come from the earth, and we share so many things. We’re all human, and music is a huge part of our lives.
Have you ever heard Puffy? Do you like music from other countries? Do you love music? Come to the Music Mix message board and let us know!
Rock on,
Migs

Comments

miffoo

miffoo

Slovakia

it’s sounds good :)

01:39 PM Mar 26 2009 |

yukihime

yukihime

Malaysia

i have hera their songs and even thir TV show! the tite is Puffy Ami Yumi Show the strory was fun~ =D and i also hear their songs!  i think they a good in english because they had song a song in Teen Titans which is in 2 version (japan and english)

01:19 AM Sep 05 2008 |

ameris81

ameris81

Chile

I can’t submit the quiz..

03:46 PM Jan 29 2008 |

idealboy

idealboy

Turkey

hi gırls, how are you ı answered all of questions. result ,  4 true  1 false

10:34 PM Jan 26 2008 |

steal

steal

China

good

10:02 AM Jan 22 2008 |

sunnylinda

sunnylinda

China

idon't know puffy.  do they like twins in  china??(a band)

07:48 AM Jan 22 2008 |

crazy Rainbow

China

interesting

12:49 PM Jan 20 2008 |

elle2girl

elle2girl

Tanzania, United Republic Of

soooo….....fantastic…*

01:02 PM Jan 19 2008 |

Fábio Pinna

Brazil

Thanks for your information, i like music a lot, and here in Brazil we have a lot of good singers and music.

04:18 AM Jan 18 2008 |

Lucas_3

Cameroon

so funny ,find a good program for your show this week end.feel free girls

04:54 PM Jan 17 2008 |

Lucas_3

Cameroon

so funny ,find a good program for your show this week end.feel free girls

04:54 PM Jan 17 2008 |

Lucas_3

Cameroon

thanks for all your attention,wac,cilengioglu,and have a nice time men.enjoy your week end

04:50 PM Jan 17 2008 |

Lucas_3

Cameroon

merci mon cher pour ce mot doux,a bientot.

04:46 PM Jan 17 2008 |

wac

France

salut monami Je M khalid J ai l honneur de vous connaitre Smile c mon msn } ] merci amis de wac.

11:48 AM Jan 17 2008 |

Çilengiroğlu

Turkey

friend want

my name is hüseyinsor name is çilengiroğlu36 years old ı amı am jurnalistı am homewalktalkcinematelevitionloadingggggggggggpleaseeeeeeeeeeeeMsn: Mail: pleaseeeeeeeeeee

08:16 AM Jan 17 2008 |

Lucas_3

Cameroon

it is very interesting to learn english . i wish a nice time to you all.

05:12 PM Jan 14 2008 |

Armu011

China

When i see the title of this article I remember the name of one of my colleagues,uh ha, Her english name is Puffy. I really didn't  hear anything about the group "puffy" before, but is there someone can introduce detailly ? i really want to know it. I like music very much. It's a huge part of my life. 

05:53 AM Jan 13 2008 |

elle2girl

elle2girl

Yeah girls…..Yummy

It's cool,fun and great puffy

09:04 AM Jan 11 2008 |

elle2girl

elle2girl

you look to good girls….

09:02 AM Jan 11 2008 |

diegothex

diegothex

Peru

yeah!! Puffy Ami Yumi Show is great! and very cool programme on cable TV…so funny! :)...

08:50 PM Jan 10 2008 |

Likes (54):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast