Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

3 Doors Down

3 Doors Down

Date: Apr 07 2003

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

If you were listening to rock music in the year 2000, you probably heard “Kryptonite,” the smash hit single from the band 3 Doors Down. It was playing on radios and CD players all over the world and made the band’s first album The Better Life one of the biggest sellers of the year.
3 Doors Down recently released their second album, and it too features a monster hit. “When I’m Gone” is currently one of the most popular songs in America. Read on to learn more about the song and the band.

Dialog

1. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

3 Doors Down is made up of 5 members from a tiny town in Mississippi called Escatawpa. After becoming rich and famous, the band returned to their hometown to chill out. “I came home (from touring) and didn’t listen to any music at all,” says Brad Arnold, the lead singer. “I had to let my head stop spinning. It was like I had been going 90 miles per hour for so long, and then it all came to an instant stop.”
After four months of relaxation, the band started working on their new album Away From the Sun. Brad wrote many of the songs while the band was on tour, so he had lots of time to think. “A lot of the lyrics on Away From The Sun are about loneliness,” admits Brad. “On tour, you really have nothing but time on your hands. I was feeding off those feelings
Check out some of the lyrics to “When I’m Gone:”
There’s another world inside of me
That you may never see
There’s secrets in this life
That I can’t hide
Somewhere in this darkness
There’s a light that I can’t find
Maybe it’s too far away…
Maybe I’m just blind…
Maybe I’m just blind…
So hold me when I’m here
Right me when I’m wrong
Hold me when I’m scared
And love me when I’m gone

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

I’m not sure if I like 3 Doors Down. I mean, some of their songs are good, but I don’t think I could listen to their whole CD. I don’t know why. I don’t have a good explanation. Their music just doesn’t grab me. It doesn’t seem special. That said, there are millions of people who absolutely love the band, so I’ll give them the props they deserve. If you’re into rock bands like Creed and The Calling, you’ll probably dig 3 Doors Down.
As I always say, all music is good music, so keep listening!
Rock on,
Migs

Comments

tiffanyg2145

United States

i love dat song, when i’m gone dats da shit… i love u quyz ur my role models… ;)

02:41 PM May 23 2011 |

julywidiawati

Indonesia

i love 3 doors down, here with out you, so touchy 

07:03 AM May 22 2009 |

Likes (13):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter