Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Jewel

Jewel

Date: May 19 2003

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Singer-songwriter Jewel released her first album, Pieces of You, in 1995. It featured several hit songs and went on to sell over 8 million copies, making Jewel very famous and very rich. The music on the album was much different than the typical songs on the radio. Jewel was a folk singer from Alaska, and her songs were simple and pure. They were made up of her voice, an acoustic guitar, and not much else.
Jewel’s come a long way since then. Her new album, 0304, is totally different from anything she’s ever done before. Instead of earthy acoustic folk, the songs are made up of electronic sounds created with computers. It’s an exciting change.
Read on to learn more about Jewel’s transformation!

Dialog

1. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

While there was nothing wrong with Jewel’s old music, it certainly is nice to see her change her style. Her new album shows that she is ambitious and interested in evolving as a musician.
“Intuition,” which is the first single and video from 0304 is a perfect example of the new Jewel. Her amazing voice is still there, but her image is totally different. Instead of a mellow girl-next-door, Jewel is an urban hottie. The video has a very obvious sexual vibe, and Jewel actually does some hip-hop dancing. About the song, Jewel says, “I’m shy, but outgoing. I’m sexy, but I’m also a down-to-earth person as well. Duality exists everywhere. I don’t think it’s anything to escape from. The video just talks about that.”
Check out some of the lyrics from “Intuition:”
Follow your heart
Your intuition
It will lead you in the right direction
Let go of your mind
Your Intuition
It’s easy to find
Just follow your heart baby

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Jewel has one of the most amazing voices in the world. With her voice, she can pretty much do any style of music and it will sound good. I fell in love with her voice when I first saw her “Who Will Save Your Soul” video on MTV. She’s been one of my favorite singers ever since.
I’ve always thought Pieces of You was Jewel’s best album, but her new album is so interesting that I might have to change my mind. I think it’s awesome that she’s updating her style.
Rock on,
Migs

Comments

fazl1368

fazl1368

Afghanistan

Sexy Girl video

07:30 AM Jul 28 2016 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Intuition is a great thing. I think it can be evolved… How many times we wanted to something to do on the spur of the moment and didn’t, using our logical thinking and then as it turned out we were wrong. The first momentum decistion would’ve been rigth.

I like also duality. When some things that looks like can’t go together but they do. I think it’s very cool.

05:59 PM May 21 2015 |

tamma-a

Syrian Arab Republic

thanks this is great

07:03 PM Apr 07 2008 |

applemotion

China

how could i listen to it?

09:52 AM May 12 2007 |

Likes (2):

See all >

Share this lesson: