Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

What Are You Blogging About?

What Are You Blogging About?

Date: Aug 30 2005

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Right now, Bruce Willis is chilling out. He’s a bit exhausted from all the hard work that goes into being an A-list celebrity. In the fall he’ll begin filming Die Hard 4.0. He wants to remind you that life is short. “Live it up!”
On August 29, 2005, musician Moby was ”...in a high building overlooking New York City.” He saw a hawk and it reminded him of how much he loves New York. Next week he’s off to Mexico, Venezuela, Colombia, Chile, Brazil and Argentina.
No, I’m not close friends with Bruce or Moby. I’ve just been reading their blogs. Blogs, or web logs, are online diaries. They are becoming an increasingly popular way for people to put down their thoughts, opinions and observations for everyone and anyone to read. Many celebrities have started their own blogs, giving you the scoop on how many of your favorite stars spend their time.
Here’s Dave and Derek talking about blogs.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Derek

Derek

Dave

Dave

Derek:  Dave, do you have a blog?

Dave:  No, I don’t. I don’t know how to start one.

Derek:  You don’t know how to start one? Yeah, well, they’ve got a few sites out there that host them and they give you pretty good instructions on how to start one. And then, you know, if it becomes really popular, you know, maybe you’ll have people all across the country reading it.

Dave:  Oh, that’d be cool. It’d be really cool. Do you have a blog?

Derek:  Ah, no, I don’t. I, ah, was thinking about starting one. Just, you know, news story or, you know, maybe a fictional town.

Dave:  Yeah, that would be interesting. How do you go about starting a blog?

Derek:  Um, you go to sites like, um, Blogger.com or Myspace or, you know, a few other places, and then start your own blog. And just start writing, adding pictures, you know, getting feedback. It’s pretty cool.

Dave:  Sounds nice. What do you think you should put on a blog to make it interesting?

Derek:  Entertaining things, or, you know, very factual. I don’t know. I’ve seen law blogs. And some people just really voice their opinion politically and have become really popular.

Dave:  Yeah, I’ve read a few of those blogs. They seem really interesting. And blogs represent a…a good democratic media.

Derek:  Definitely.

Dave:  Anybody can post their thoughts.

Derek:  Yeah, it’s pretty nice to be able to do that.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Who’s your favorite celebrity? Ever wonder what he or she did last night? While you won’t find many tell-all celebrity blogs out there in cyberspace, you can still pick up tidbits of information on how your favorite stars spend their time. Here are some links to a few popular celebrity blogs.
Pamela Anderson – www.pamelaanderson.com or pamelaanderson.blogs.friendster.com
Moby – www.moby.com/journal
Bruce Willis – www.brucewillis.com/notes
Barbara Streisand – http://www.barbrastreisand.com/news_statements.html
Rosie O’Donnell – www.rosie.com
Want to start your own blog? Check out:
www.blogspot.com
www.blogger.com
www.myspace.com
www.travelblog.org

Comments

yana011

yana011

Philippines

i loved reading blog. its like reading a true story about the author/writer. i have my own blog too, when im feeling odd or somethin i just express it through blogging )

12:29 PM Oct 24 2008 |

aletheia

aletheia

Italy

Blogs need nurturing, just like plants. If you forget to water them and give them the rights nutritional elements, they die. It's a heavy burden, if you don't have a strong motivation, a real passion about what you are writing about. 

02:36 PM Sep 07 2007 |

wmancuso

Brazil

Pretty cool

09:00 PM Sep 11 2005 |

dodo6

China

I like it

05:39 PM Sep 09 2005 |

Likes (29):

See all >

Share this lesson: