Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Driver's License

Driver's License

Date: Jan 13 2006

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

In the U.S., each state has its own driver’s license. You are supposed to have a driver’s license for the state where you are living. Because I recently moved to Portland, Oregon, I had to apply for an Oregon driver’s license.

Listen to Kevin and I talk about the experience.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Kevin

Kevin

Dave

Dave

Kevin:  So, ah, how was your trip to the DMV yesterday?

Dave:  Well, I went to get my driver’s license and, you know, I have to establish residency in Portland. So, filled out the application, paid my fee…

Kevin:  Which was?

Dave:  Well, the test fee is five bucks. You pay five bucks to sit down at the computer and take the written driver’s license exam. And, I failed! I failed the driver’s license exam. I’ve been driving for thirteen years, Kevin! I failed the test.

Kevin:  Well, don’t feel bad, because, and actually, I should have warned you and I didn’t. My boss, when I first moved to Portland, in 2000, I went to take the test and she said, ‘Make sure you read the book, that little manual, because otherwise you won’t pass it.’ Because there are some very ambiguous questions.

Dave:  [laughs]

Kevin:  Anyway, I passed it, but she didn’t, when she moved here from California. Here’s a woman, you know, with her Master’s degree, so don’t feel bad.

Dave:  She failed. Yeah. Well, I was pretty upset yesterday, and, especially, because you take it in the DMV, which is a typical government office, very dismal.

Kevin:  Terrible. Dark.

Dave:  Yeah, not happy. A lot of glum faces.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

I have a Japanese friend who recently got her Oregon driver’s license. She said that it has always been her dream to drive in the U.S. She often just gets in her car and drives through the mountains and along the coast. She says she loves the freedom of driving.

When you apply for a driver’s license, you have to fill out an application and then stand in a long, long line until your number is called. You pay a fee and then take a computerized, multiple-choice driver’s test. The test asks questions about driving and traffic safety rules.

Some rules of the road include:

– Pedestrians almost always have the right of way.

– It is illegal to drive with a blood alcohol content of .08% or higher.

– Most states require drivers and passengers to wear seatbelts while in a car.

If you’re planning to come to the U.S., and you plan on applying for a driver’s license, check out this site for information on driving laws in each state: Department of Motor Vehicles

What are the driving laws in your country? Have you driven in the U.S. before? If so, how was it different from driving in your home country?

Comments

Staisy

Staisy

Russian Federation

It seems a bit strange in our days when an adult person has no   drivers license. I got it several years ago not because it  was  really necessary for me, but just because I did not want to be outdated.

07:42 PM Apr 12 2015 |

reyhon

reyhon

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

hello, every body

05:41 AM Aug 26 2012 |

crash001

crash001

India

I like this lesson, very nice

02:44 AM Apr 05 2012 |

zainkpm

zainkpm

India

very nice lesson. Thanks

08:15 AM Apr 10 2008 |

mimofreee

mimofreee

Kuwait

hello i am from lebanon but i live in kuwait,i have a lebanese driving licence but it is not working here and there are too much condition to get the kuwaity driveing licence.

03:28 PM Feb 19 2008 |

marsyaaf

Malaysia

I never drive in US but I drive in my country. It is easy.

05:21 AM Jan 11 2008 |

medooza

medooza

United Kingdom

i'm fine. thanx:) how are u?

11:43 AM Dec 20 2007 |

陈莹

Macao

I think she is very beautiful girl.

09:44 AM Dec 03 2007 |

dakson

dakson

Egypt

how are you medooza

03:15 PM Dec 01 2007 |

dakson

dakson

Egypt

I LIVE IN EGYPT . EGYPT belongs to the africa  

03:14 PM Dec 01 2007 |

medooza

medooza

United Kingdom

I live in Poland. Poland belongs to The European Union. I have a driver's license and can drive all over Europe. it's very comfortable.

07:54 PM Nov 21 2007 |

reelex

Canada

nice..

02:05 PM Jan 16 2006 |

chrismas

China

good ,but maybe too fast

03:42 AM Jan 15 2006 |

Likes (56):

See all >

Share this lesson: