Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

pulls no punches

pulls no punches

Date: Aug 17 2006

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

“He’s a really good friend of mine. He pulls no punches, but I admired that.”

- Lisa Marie Presley, Elvis’s daughter, talking about Billy Corgan (of the bands Zwan and Smashing Pumpkins), who helped her with her music.

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

express disapproval without trying to be kind or polite; speak honestly about something without caring about hurting someone’s feelings; criticize something without reservation; make comments on something directly and straightforwardly

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

You can use “pulls no punches” to describe someone who is always very honest about what s/he thinks. A person who “pulls punches” is a person who says nice things, when s/he really thinks something sucks. For example, if you tell your mom that you love the meal she cooked for you, but you actually hated it, then you’re “pulling punches.” The expression is most often used when talking about someone who doesn’t care about offending people. That kind of person “pulls no punches.”

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“My dad pulls no punches when he’s talking about my clothes. He doesn’t like it when I wear short skirts or tight shirts and he always yells at me when I do.”

“Our basketball coach pulls no punches. If we’re playing bad, he tells us we suck.”

“I like movie critics who pull no punches. I want to know if a movie sucks, rather than hearing something that makes a bad movie sound OK.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

if you pull no punches you hold nothing back
by david barcenas diaz
akinuludas he gives as much effort as to you
by akinuludas
Turmeric She meant he was reckless, didn't behave deliberatly
by Turmeric
tmmg to speak in an honest way without trying to be kind
by tmmg
jevelie it means helping other people witout asking anything in retun.or helping other w/out making any bad things against that person
by jevelie
do all the best
by cynthiachunyan
If a person pulls no punches, they speak the truth however uncomfortable the truth may be for the listener, being painfully honest.
by chimera
uses all his force to do something or get something done; its not about boasting but actually doing things
by jgangwar
actually a boxing term, it means to act honestly without being kind, no holding back so ...
by tonymichael2046
pulls no punches means behave unrestrictly.
by omsuwal
monicalo to deal with something hoestly without hiding anything. I do wish Michael pull no punches when he chats with me.
by monicalo
be right , honest
by carlozandrez
to deal with something honestly without hiding anything
by huma
wayne226 "pulls no punches" means to tell others what you think or what you will do honestly without hiding anything.
by wayne226

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

palz

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

haiiiiiiiiii friend….hope u can make my enlish to be good way when i wat to conversation or writting….

02:20 PM Mar 09 2008 |

marya-1368

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

hello

07:56 AM Mar 05 2008 |

Likes (17):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter